1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer case in a 4spd to 5spd swap

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by GregS, Aug 24, 2006.

1. GregS

GregS

Can I reuse my split transfer case in a 1982 BJ42 when swapping in an H55F? I've heard of a fifth gear oiling issue. Can I install this 'oiler cup' in or on my existing transfer case or do I need to find a complete transfer case originally mated to an H55F? Thanks for the info in advance...
    Greg

2. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

you will need the front half of a 5 spd t/case housing

3. GregS

GregS

So Wayne....sounds like if I can find the front half (housing) of a T case that was mated to a 5spd, I would actually be reusing the guts of my existing T case. Do you know where to look for this part or if Toyota still stocks them?
    Greg

4. crushers

as far a si know they only sell complete front and rear halves...
    used might be a stretch to find...

5. PVCruiser

PVCruiser

Post a pic of the front part of your t-case, please. I want to see the casting.

Thanks

Seth

6. GregS

GregS

I'll get some pics up this evening....

Just trying to figure out what exactly I'll need to swap in an H55F. What do I need to find...what can I reuse...etc. Don't want to get it all torn apart just to realize I'm missing a key part that's only available when the moon aligns with the sun on the second Tuesday of a leap year. This is my daily driver, so when I take her apart, I want to put her back together again finished.

7. BreckenridgeCruiser

BreckenridgeCruiser I break things. SILVER Star

As far as I know the major differences are the older t-case front casing has a bolt hole where the 'oil pocket' is on the later one. I don't know what year they standardized the case to the newer style. Basically the front case has a little pocket in the middle that you can install a nipple that will squirt oil onto the fifth gear shaft/bearing somehow.

Check this link: http://www.off-road.com/tlc/tech/h55fswap/part2.html

It has a picture of the plastic nipple.

Kraig

8. GregS

GregS

Thanks for the link Kraig...There seems to be quite a bit of info at there but also some contradictions. Hard to know exactly what's needed until I pull it out and have it laying on the floor in front of me.
    Greg

9. BreckenridgeCruiser

Yeah... it depends on when your transfer was made. Some years it was made to mate up to the spacer that was behind the H42 to make the measurements the same as the h55f. this allowed toyota to only make one length drive shaft for the USA 60 series from 85-87. I don't know if the 40 series had the bolt hole, but you won't know until you take it apart. I have seen some t-cases with both the bolt hole and the oil pocket. Check back (way back) to the Toyota Trails issue from around 2000 where they went through all of the changes. I'll check it tonight and see what I can find.

10. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

11. rick_d

rick_d

...the reason why the front and back are sold as a pair is because they are machined together.

technically, the idler hole won't be in the same spot in a replacement 1/2 case.

it may work, and it may be reaaaallll close, but it's not the machined correct one.

12. crushers

you know this for a fact?

13. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

This is right that is why the same or exactly the same size shimms must be put back in the same way in the transfer case.The alternative is to measure it and reshim I think you would need to be pretty experienced to do this correct, advice I was given when I did mine.

14. BreckenridgeCruiser

BigBrownDog,

I think the important side is the one facing the back of the tranny... do you have pics of that facing? Thanks for those pics!

Kraig

15. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

I did not photograph the bearing retainer while it was off the box sorry. Only pics of the front and back cases. I have one of it on the box while the gearbox and t/case was out of the truck though photobucket is down at this moment. Also can post an exploded view from the manual.

16. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

17. rick_d

rick_d

wayne-

Several trade machinists believe this to be true, and I could contact my parts guy in LA who could get an answer from the direct japanese manufacturer (greg p. who had the orion gear set sourced).

do we need that?

18. crushers

no need,
    i was trying to visualize the process and couldn't get my head around how they would do the machineing as one unit...
    with the precision of the machining these days you would think they wouldn't need to invest the extra time to bolt the 2 halves together to have everything align. i was thinking if the process was the way you described then the accuracy should be exactly the same each time where as if the 2 pieces were produced seperately then a variety of shims would be needed to compensate for the inconsitencies between the 2 halves, hence the need for different thicknesses of shims.
    the question was a want of verification than a challenge to your idea. (after rereading the question i can see how it would come across that way...)

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">