Transfer case ID help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! I'm a local to the 100 series forum but venture here hoping to find some info from anyone more familiar with the 3rd gen 4runner platform.

So my friend had a major incident with her 98 sr5 v6 5speed 4wd rear locker truck. I believe her double cardan broke while she was on the interstate and ripped everything apart.

We found a JDM transmission and transfer case on eBay and ordered it.

I got them in today and the transmission seems perfect but I can't seem to wrap my head around the transfer case. It seems to only have 3 positions (4H-N-4L) which leads me to believe it's an AWD one that should have a selectable center diff. the issue is there's no center diff lock actuator on the transfercase so I'm left without any clues. It looks identical to the J shift type she previously had, but doesn't seem to have 2H.

Did Japan offer an AWD only 4runner without proper 4wd? Any help is hugely appreciated!

The carnage

IMG_20171207_171255_01.jpg

After pulling it apart

20171210_135634.jpg

The transmission and transfer case she bought

20171226_081927.jpg

975248839_tp.jpg

I've read of 4wd 4runners having had a multimatic transmission that gave the option of AWD, starting with the 1999 model year. Can't say more than that.

I believe the Transmission/Transfer case on her 4runner are the same as a first gen Tacoma IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom