Transfer Case...How Screwed Am I? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
In the process of replacing the 4WD vacuum actuator on our 1970., one of the bolts broke inside the T.Case nose housing. To make matters much worse, in the process of trying to extract the snapped bolt, I punched through the back side of the housing. If I can find a used front for the T case, can I replace just the front cone without pulling the T.Case, or does the T.case have to be removed from the vehicle.?
Thanks.

I punched through the back side of the housing.

Please elaborate on this.

If the threads are still intact, you can use blue locktite on the fastener, and that should prevent oil from creeping down the threads.

You can remove the nose cone from the transfer case and fight fair with it on a work bench; nothing is going to fall out of the transfer case.

Clean around the nose cone really well to prevent dirt from getting into the front output bearing.

Thanks Poser! Unfortunately, the extractor process punched through the back side of the nose cone housing, so not only are the threads shot, but the nose cone is trashed. Anyone know where I can source a good used nose cone? Hoping @65swb45 or another vendor here can hook me up with a replacement and a nose cone gasket.

1664560688892.jpeg

About 30 on the shelf Mark.😉

Out in the field for a few hours, pulling parts off my ‘new’ rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom