transfer case help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I am going to seperate my 3spd tranny from my 3sp tcase at the fire station sunday and then attach the tcase to a 4 spd tranny after some cleaning and so forth. I have a gear from a 74 40 that will mate the two together, but I have a few questions first.
1. Will basic hand tools be enough to swap out this gear(74 gear) into my tcase?
2. What are the rubber gaskets that are just to the left of the input shaft housing?
3. On the picture linked below what is the best way to cure the surface rust on the output shaft, and what is missing as far as the housing?

Thanks for everyones help.
Jake

detail

detail

ozarkcruiser said:
Ok I am going to seperate my 3spd tranny from my 3sp tcase at the fire station sunday and then attach the tcase to a 4 spd tranny after some cleaning and so forth. I have a gear from a 74 40 that will mate the two together, but I have a few questions first.
1. Will basic hand tools be enough to swap out this gear(74 gear) into my tcase?
2. What are the rubber gaskets that are just to the left of the input shaft housing?
3. On the picture linked below what is the best way to cure the surface rust on the output shaft, and what is missing as far as the housing?

Thanks for everyones help.
Jake

1. Yes, hand tools are just fine.
The FJ40 was designed to be basically torn apart with the provided tool kit.

2. I can't think of any rubber gaskets that would be there.

3. you can remove the rust on the shaft using a scotch brite pad and some WD40.

I'm pretty sure you have to get a 4 spd bell housing as well. :popcorn:

OK, I'll take a stab at answering...
ozarkcruiser said:
Yes, basic tools are fine, but sometimes a puller is needed to separate the tranny & transfer. Also, a large socket (27? 30? 32?) and breaker bar is needed to R&R the big nut on tranny output shaft.

I'm guessing you are referring to the dried out rubber bellows on the 2/4WD selector shaft. Comes as part of a rebuild kit, or can be ordered separately from Toyota.

detail

detail
I wouldn't worry about the surface rust too much. Use a steel bristle toothbrush and penetrating oil if it bugs you.

The entire rear bearing retainer assembly is missing, including speedo driven gear and parking brake.

Ok I got the tcase seperated from the 3 spd tranny at work today. I have run into a few problems that I need help with. I got the tcase input gear out as well as what I believe to be the pto drive gear out of my 72 tcase. I have a 74 tcase input gear that I was going to install to mate it to my newer 78 4 spd tranny. It fit fine around the 78 4 spd tranny shaft, but the fit was not good with the rest of the tcase gears.
1. Do I have the right gear?
2. do I need the pto drive gear outta the same 74 tcase so it will fit?
3. How does the case look to you guys(what you can see)?

Thanks,
Jake

These pics the gears on the left are out of the 72 the right gear is the 74.
Top gear is input gear, bottom is pto drive. Also look at my other rides in this albumn.
album

Jake,
we need better pictures.

It looks like you have the correct "skinny" 16 spline input gear to mate H4* to skinny gear J30 T-case.

But, it also looks like you have the non-US wide 10 spline input gear that is used to mate J30 tranny to 75-80 wide gear t-case. Maybe your truck got an entire 1976 3-speed tranny&t-case from a foreign junkyard.

You do need a 16 spline PTO gear or the spacer to fit in the t-case.

T-case looks fine, but can't see much in the pics.

Here are some more pictures. So my options are to regear the whole tcase or do they make a wide 16 input gear?
album

Damn, I couldnt tell if SOR has a wide 16 spline input gear. Any other vendors?
Jake

Last edited:
ozarkcruiser said:
Here are some more pictures.
So my options are to regear the whole tcase or do they make a wide 16 input gear?
album

Damn, I couldnt tell if SOR has a wide 16 spline input gear. Any other vendors?
Jake,
The wide 16 spline input gear is standard on 4/75-6/80 Cruisers. It would appear that you have a 1978 4-speed transmission and a 1975-1980 T-case.
Count teeth or turns on the t-case to be sure the low range is 2:1.

What you want is the 2.3:1 low range, 1973-earlier t-case to use w/ the 1974 transition gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom