Transfer case help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I have a leak in my transfer case in this area. Does anyone have a diagram of what seal has to be changed or what can be done. Thanks

Inkedtreansfer case fj60_LI.jpg

You can sneak out that shaft enough to slip the new O-Ring on.. but pull it too far and you'll be opening up the transfer case to resolve the issue.

You can sneak out that shaft enough to slip the new O-Ring on.. but pull it too far and you'll be opening up the transfer case to resolve the issue.

^ This ^

Remove the lock washer and pull out just enough to see the o-ring. Use a pick to remove. Use syn grease or gear oil on the the new ring and slide on. If too far, you'll hear a gear drop in the case or won't be able to push the shaft back in place.

That is my picture from many years ago! Cool.

If it's leaking at the intermediate shaft you might be able to sneak out the shaft a bit and replace the oring but probably not. You will likely need to split the split case. Then it's worth going through all of it. Rebuild your split case and get another 30 years out of it.

The FSM shows installing the oring after the rear split case is back on, but the shaft is not seated in the front half of the case. I tried to practice this a few times while preparing to put my rear split case back on. I didn't like that it can chew up that oring, and that the front of the shaft can and did get hung up on the front thrust washer. Then if you try to force the shaft it will bend the thrust washer or cut the front oring. I like Georg's method of installing the split case better. FWIW you can re use the original copper gasket for the split case. But if you have a paper gasket it will most surely tear while splitting the case.

here is what is happening at the front end of the shaft. If you pull the shaft out of the thrust washer it may be hard to get it back in, and don't force it. Also if you pull the front o ring out of the hole in the front of the case it may be hard to get it back.

If the t/case is still on the truck, I'd remove the lock and small lock bolt, and push another o ring in the hole with a small pick or tiny flathead screwdriver, but not go so far as to dislodge the old o ring. Maybe put a little FIPG in the crack after that. Then re install the lock and lock bolt. But really, If it's not dripping all over the driveway and not gushing out, I'd leave it. Just check your gear oil and top it off. Make sure you DON'T overtighten the plug. Its a steel plug going in an aluminum housing and many get stripped from overtightening...easy to do with a large wrench.

just a side note make sure the breather on top of the transfer case is not blocked after years of crud its a bastard to get at but well worth checking out as it can cause leaks if blocked...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom