transfer case gear tooth broke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hward1

87 fj60 / 95 fjz80
Threads
hey today trying to put in a snap ring on this part of the transfer case after finishing pressing new bearings ect -- then installing the new pilot bearing - when i was putting in the snap ring with a snap ring tool i broke off a tooth of this part -- what do i do know -- i dont even know what this part is called and will it still be ok to use like this --- thanks for the help -- :bang::bang::bang::bang:

DSC03224.jpg

DSC03220.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC, that is one of the cogs for the Hi-low range shift. It meshes with that sliding collar. I wouldn't worry about it, I think you'll be fine, there are plenty of other teeth for transferring the torque. But, I'm curious to see what others will say.

Yes, that bearing needs to go in a bit more, there shouldn't be any "shoulder" visible.

How do you knock off a tooth?

I'm gonna guess that it snapped off while pressing a bearing on or off. There can be "high spots" on that cog that can create a stress point, and if you crank on the press at just the right angle and force, it could snap the entire tooth off. I've seen them chip, but never snap the whole tooth.

i was putting the snap ring back in and this happened maybe it was weak or something ---

you know i bet i did weaken it when using the press - i better check the other ones now to see if they are weak

I broke a tooth off like that, too. Runs fine 4K later. Needle bearing in end of output shaft should be a little deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom