Transfer case gear question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
I had a small issue with my transfer case last week and a few teeth on the input gear and large gear on the idler gear were chipped. The gears that were damaged were from an '88 FJ62 (38 mm idler shaft). I have spare gears from an '86 FJ60 (38 mm idler shaft).

Tooth counts on the large and small gears between the 60 and 62 idler gears are identical. I'm assuming easy swap with this gear.

Input gears differ. The 62 gear has 32 teeth while the 60 gear has 34. Can the 60 gear be swapped in without issue?

Not being able to see the gears in person or having any experience with those, just from a generic gear perspective...I'd say it's extremely doubtful.

The link below (describing generic gears) highlights all the different aspects of gears.

It would be startling if Toyota machined the 32 tooth gear designed for the 62 to mesh perfectly with the 34 tooth gear off the 60.
I'd never place a bet on that.

If the cut is just slightly different, they'll grind each other to bits in no time.... But maybe they'll mesh

trying to understand this, you want to use the input gear and idler from the 1 transfer and put it into the other?
the second gear of the idler is the same in both? the one that meshes with the output gear.
I'm not seeing an issue

trying to understand this, you want to use the input gear and idler from the 1 transfer and put it into the other?
the second gear of the idler is the same in both? the one that meshes with the output gear.
I'm not seeing an issue

I think you got it right. I don't think there will be an issued, just checking to see if anyone has an answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom