Transfer case gear oil loss at high speeds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You will know if it gets to hot when the speedometer stops working because the speedometer gear melts inside the tcase and the speedometer cable comes apart and really throws fluid everywhere... ask me how i know and this was also a east coast to west coast trip

You will know if it gets to hot when the speedometer stops working because the speedometer gear melts inside the tcase and the speedometer cable comes apart and really throws fluid everywhere... ask me how i know and this was also a east coast to west coast trip

Yeah, i melted a speedo gear once already lol

I had oil on the back of my rig once. I think it was the failed pinion seal or maybe the oil galley plug behind the bell housing (only an early 2F problem, later had threaded plugs).

I have gone 80mph driving out to Big Bend. About 10 hours from when I lived in Houston. No issues there.

Slow down @cruisermatt or go full GM drivetrain lol

Wow, I can’t imagine doing over 100 MPH in a 60 series.
A Ferrari might be in your future…

When I do 80 mph for 6 hours straight I have no oil loss in my 62's tcase. Now while that is not 100 it is still rather fast.

Synthetic oil runs cooler that regular oil. That may help a little?

I’m serious guys... I want to be able to drive cross country from Florida to Colorado, Moab, California etc at least once a year, and crossing big flat states like Oklahoma, Nevada, Texas suuucks and id like to get through them faster.
I want to set the cruise control at 95-100mph.
This is by far the most immature thing I have read in a looong time on Mud.

How about for 28 hours straight? Because that’s more in line with what I’m shooting for
Can’t say I have this problem Matt,

I do similar driving to what your talking about for the intervals your speak of with no issues like that

third element of surprise, my t-case leaks pretty good and I don’t end up with the film of oil all down the back

4.11’s -35’s- 100+ regularly shhhhh don’t tell the law

Ok, so it seems like the consensus is that is it's just me with this issue.

I guess I'll reseal the case and try again :meh:

Have you tried removing the flange and smearing a butt ton of FIPG on the splines? Maybe is wicking out thru the flange splines at high rpms.

Have you tried removing the flange and smearing a butt ton of FIPG on the splines? Maybe is wicking out thru the flange splines at high rpms.

@CenTXFJ60 mentioned the same thing.. The funny thing is I do this on all my customer T-cases but probably didn't on my own :doh:

It is quite a bit of oil. Like a general mist over the entire rear underside of the truck and entire rear hatch/liftgate after a 10-hr sprint to Tennessee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom