transfer case gear install question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Maybe I'm not using the correct search terms, but I'm wondering if I'm looking at doing this correct. I have the Overdrive gear set for my x-fer case, and want to go the most non-invasive route on removal to get the new gears on (non invasive after I've completely removed everything from the case). here in the photo is one of the gears. It's the one in the center. Is the correct way to remove the little gear up top, the bearing, and then the drive gear that way? or do I need to flip it upside down and go the much scarier looking way? lol.

On a side note, can I just buy the stupid metal clips that go on the bearings and shafts? I hate them so much, always feel like I destroy them when I remove them.

IMG_20210109_144210.jpg

The other shaft isn't much of an issue because the adapter kit I'm using comes with a new shaft so all I need is the two bearings. Easy stuff there. but because we all like photos, i'll post some more. lol.

IMG_20210109_145441.jpg

What you have pictured in your first photo is the idler gear assembly. You didn't specify the year, so I'm posting the FSM for mine (1995), but they're all the same.

Attachments

• 1995, Drivetrain, Transfer, Idler Gear Assembly.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 76
If by "the metal clips" you mean the snap rings (see below), yes you can discard them and install new ones if you damage them; they're not that expensive. They are meant to be reusable, though.

Here are the remaining components for the entire transfer case assembly, so you have all the correct nomenclature (for searching later on). Confucious say, " First step on path to knowledge is to call things by their right names".

Attachments

• 1995, Drivetrain, Transfer, Components.pdf
    47.8 KB · Views: 32
Thanks! It's a 91. It's my first transfer case rebuild so I'm taking baby steps lol.

I've never seen snap rings without little eyehooks before, so I wasn't sure if they were supposed to be re-used or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom