Transfer case front output seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can the front output seal of the transfer case be changed without dropping the transfer case and splitting it apart?

I looked at the FSM and couldn’t answer the question. The instructions for changing the seal are written up with the case separated and the front output shaft removed. But the exploded assembly diagram kind of makes it appear that the seal can be changed while the transfer is still mounted to the tranny.

Thanks,
Curran

there are 2 bolts that are near impossiable to get to with the t-case in the truck. I have found it easier to remove the t-case and then remove the front housing and replace the seal. You only have to remove the front houseing, not split the case.
Good luck robbie

Thanks Robbie.

powderpig said:
there are 2 bolts that are near impossiable to get to with the t-case in the truck. I have found it easier to remove the t-case and then remove the front housing and replace the seal. You only have to remove the front houseing, not split the case.
Good luck robbie

Robbie--

Where are the two bolts located? Is there a possibility of lowering the tranny/xfer case by taking off the cross member support and supporting the tranny/xfer with a jack?

Just an idea...maybe a bad one.

Later.
-onur
akron, OH

Both inside toward the case. I could never find a tool to fit to get to them. You can look at them with a light, between the output housing and the tranny. Good luck. It takes about 45 minutes to remove the whole t-case, once it is out it is easy to handle and make sure the surface is clean, no oil drooling onto the surface when trying to get everything align and back together. good luck robbie

powderpig said:
Both inside toward the case. I could never find a tool to fit to get to them. You can look at them with a light, between the output housing and the tranny. Good luck. It takes about 45 minutes to remove the whole t-case, once it is out it is easy to handle and make sure the surface is clean, no oil drooling onto the surface when trying to get everything align and back together. good luck robbie

Thanks Robbie.

I was afraid he was gonna suggest dropping the tranny :crybaby: I did end up getting both the front and rear seal from Cdan for this event. 45 minutes, eh? Ok, let's see how long takes for us ameteurs!

Ali

That is jsut to get the t-case out. To do both the front and rear seals with the t-case out is about 4-5 hr endevor. i hope you have a press and tools. the book describes using a soft hammer, but never really like that. You did plan for a all day type of deal? No dinner for you tonight Ali unless it is done. good luck robbie

powderpig said:
That is jsut to get the t-case out. To do both the front and rear seals with the t-case out is about 4-5 hr endevor. i hope you have a press and tools. the book describes using a soft hammer, but never really like that. You did plan for a all day type of deal? No dinner for you tonight Ali unless it is done. good luck robbie

My back just voted for replacement of the rear seal only in situ and screw the front until it's a gusher :D

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom