Transfer Case/Front Diff Failure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
*Im getting this information second hand from my father and have not physically inspected the truck yet*

1999 LX470

My dad was driving at highway speeds when a clucking came from the front end. He pulled over and the truck would not move forward without a horrible binding/popping sound from the front axle. Had the truck towed (rollback) home and put it on our lift. Pulled the front drive shaft and there is a ton of play in the front diff input shaft/output (guessing the diff is blown). He left the front driveshaft out and went to move the truck back off the lift and there was no drive (Forward or Reverse). Back on the lift, he noticed that the front output flange of the TC would turn, but not the rear.

I've heard of Front Diff issues on these S100s, but haven't heard much chatter on the TC...

Is it possible that the TC failed and was only sending power to the front axle (which then failed from "pulling the truck along")? I would be surprised to have a TC failure that would drive the front output and not the rear output (seems like it would be all or nothing).

Any insight is appreciated!

More than likely one of the c-clips popped off the end of one of the CVs. With the center diff unlocked the truck won't move. Have him pop the dust caps off the ends of the flanges and see if there's a clip in one.

More than likely one of the c-clips popped off the end of one of the CVs. With the center diff unlocked the truck won't move. Have him pop the dust caps off the ends of the flanges and see if there's a clip in one.
That or a hub flange or outboard shaft stripped.

*Im getting this information second hand from my father and have not physically inspected the truck yet*

1999 LX470

My dad was driving at highway speeds when a clucking came from the front end. He pulled over and the truck would not move forward without a horrible binding/popping sound from the front axle. Had the truck towed (rollback) home and put it on our lift. Pulled the front drive shaft and there is a ton of play in the front diff input shaft/output (guessing the diff is blown). He left the front driveshaft out and went to move the truck back off the lift and there was no drive (Forward or Reverse). Back on the lift, he noticed that the front output flange of the TC would turn, but not the rear.

I've heard of Front Diff issues on these S100s, but haven't heard much chatter on the TC...

Is it possible that the TC failed and was only sending power to the front axle (which then failed from "pulling the truck along")? I would be surprised to have a TC failure that would drive the front output and not the rear output (seems like it would be all or nothing).

Any insight is appreciated!

The transfer case, unless the Center diff lock button is engaged, is doing what you'd expect here...sending all power to the path of least resistance. Engage the CDL and with the front drive shaft removed, you can drive in 2wd (rear wheel drive) to further investigate.

Transfer case on these is incredibly robust, very few failures reported.
Front T case can fail from bouncing hard on the trail or lack of lubrication, that's the main two causes. If it had gear oil in it and he was just driving along, very doubtful the front diff just grenaded itself. More likely the c clip popped off or the drive flanges stripped out like the other users have mentioned, which are due to poor installation or neglected maintenance usually.

*edit I really should read all the other responses before I just say the same things everyone else has already said lol. Oh well, driving the points home I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom