transfer case dying! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my mechanic says my transfer case on my 91' is going out. said that there is a ton of play in the shafts coming out of it. I am getting a pretty bad viberation from it, and it feels like it is using a lot of power just to get going.

Anyway, anyone where I can get a transfer case for a 91? And is there any other transfer cases that will work? found a 93' transfer case locally, but not sure what will work in my truck.

Thanks in advance!
Kent

I've got one off a 92.

The guy I bought it from had just driven if from Denver to Portland and pulled it to do a diesel swap. He said it was in fine shape, just couldn't use it with his new motor/tranny.

It has about 190K on it. We can certainly work a deal!

I bought it attached to the tranny and 3FE and was planning on putting the tranny into my 89 FJ62, but the output shaft is different.

Either PM me or email me at skybill9@gmail.com

I'm in Vancouver, WA.

Do a search for your symtoms, It's in this forum. You may not need to buy a transfer case.

Possible problems:
Driveshafts are not in phase: that's one of the viberation problems.
Slop in the driveline is a condition we call clunking. It's pretty bad for the 91~92 models.
A '93 and above transfer case will not work in your vehicle, not with an '89 or below.
My TC has some play into also, but it's not causing a problem.
Also, sounds like to need to do a tune up.

my mechanic says my transfer case on my 91' is going out. said that there is a ton of play in the shafts coming out of it.

Please explain the above statement. What type of "play" is he referring to? Rotational play? Lateral play? Guitar play?

Please explain the above statement. What type of "play" is he referring to? Rotational play? Lateral play? Guitar play?

well my transfer case can play a mean "stairway to heaven", but man am I sick of that song!

But it also rotates almost a full half turn before it "connects". I have noticed that when I put it in park, the truck will roll almost 6 inches before it will stop.

there was another guy on this board with the same symptoms, but the thread kind of lost it's way, with people suggesting new fuel injectors and everything.

This problem is limited to the drivetrain.
any help is appreciated!

But it also rotates almost a full half turn before it "connects". I have noticed that when I put it in park, the truck will roll almost 6 inches before it will stop.

This problem is limited to the drivetrain.
any help is appreciated!

Sounds like your linkage for the transfer case or tranny needs to be adjusted based on the 'roll almost 6 inces before it will stop.' statement.

Tranny linkage: the transmission has a mechanical rod that moves internals in the tranny to lock it in park or to put the vehicle in motion(F/R). If the rig is rolling 6" before it goes into park, the linkage may need adjusting.
Is your parking level really stiff after it goes into park? Or do you notice that the parking level position does not correspond to the light on the dash?

TCase linkage: the TC has a mechanical rod also that puts the TC in High, Neutral, or Low. This rod could be out of adjustment also.
Can you push the level into High,N,Low without any EXTRA force?

Jon is an expert on the 91-92 models but I will say that these 2 things don't seem unusual to me. My 97 rolls quite a bit if I don't set the e-brake. There is a good bit of rotation in the XC shafts too but I haven't measured that.

Absent any other symptoms (drivetrain binding, bearing noises, gear noises), I would not replace the XC based on those 2 things alone.

The vibes could be other things so check that first.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom