Transfer case differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is the actual housing of the transfer case different between the 3 and 4 speed transmissions? I have some cases and am trying to identify what they are. Thanks

IIRC there are some minor differences in the nose cone & the ribbing depending on what year case. There are different size idler shaft being the main thing that will make a case unusable depending on the size idler shaft the gear set you want to use is. The 4spd tcases use a diffrent spline count on the input gear than the 3 spd tcases however there are some conversion gears out there with the 4spd spline count & the 3 spd gear cut. The low range on the 3spd & 4spd tcases is different so the gear sets can switch cases if the idler dia matches but you can not mix match gears between 3spd & 4spd.

Somewhere on Mud is the Four Wheeler magazine article from the 1980s (written by a 'cruiserhead) that shows all the FJ40 xfer case differences. There were many small and larger changes through the years, mostly aimed at making them stronger and quieter.

Here ya go. I know the article well. I read the article a couple of times, b4 I realized the cover pic was of my 40 in all its rusty glory.

Here ya go. I know the article well. I read the article a couple of times, b4 I realized the cover pic was of my 40 in all its rusty glory.

That's a great article with a lot of good information! Thank you for posting that response. I believe I have some of all three later types but this will allow me to verify.

Great info, thanks for posting!

Is that Roadkill Garage Freiburger that wrote that article? Who knew he was an original Cruiserhead?!

I just saw this yesterday On the old land cruiser pictures thread
Is that Roadkill Garage Freiburger that wrote that article? Who knew he was an original Cruiserhead?!

Screenshot_20230520_082259_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom