Transfer Case Differences on 80 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So this is probably what you're talking about. I put the vehicle on a lift and while in neutral I turn the driveshaft and I look inside the differential and it's turning but the wheels are not moving and it seems like they're making somewhat of a grinding noise but not really bad.

If this sounds like the problem, is there a post for the fix and the parts needed?

If this sounds like the problem, is there a post for the fix and the parts needed?
There are lots of posts, just search 'drive flange'.

Your 1993 FZJ80 case is HF2AV. It has a viscous coupler in the rear housing, that's why its longer.

The HDJ80 can have 3 different cases depending on the market where it came from. Most likely either the part time HF1A (in which case the gears you bought will not be compatible), or the HF2A, which is the same case as the HF2AV, but without the viscous coupler. PTO access plate makes no difference in your case (other than the obvious fact that you wont be able to bolt the PTO to the case without it).

Which one is better will depend on how you're using the truck. I personally think the HF2AV is the best case, but some people have a different opinion.

Are the HF2A and the HF2AV interchangeable without further modifications? Meaning could a 1992 transfer case be bolted up to a 1991 FJ80?

Are the HF2A and the HF2AV interchangeable without further modifications? Meaning could a 1992 transfer case be bolted up to a 1991 FJ80?

Yes, but you'll need a shorter rear drive shaft to suit.
The HF2AV has a longer rear housing for the viscous coupler.

Not sure about USA, but here in oz HF1A is for factory part time and has no CDL with electronic activation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom