Transfer Case/Clutch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wheeling my '89 4 runner this weekend, nothing crazy just on a basic trail, trailing my buddys on their bikes and 4 wheelers. I start going up a switch back in 4 low with my manual hubs locked and me engine bogs down so i let my truck roll back down the hill. Once we get it to a stopping point we try and go back up and there is no power to my wheels what so ever. My clutch pedal feels soft and i can switch to any gear at any time, car on or off, without pushing in the pedal. The transfer case is also stuck in four wheel drive. The transmission is spinning but no gears are catching what so ever. Any suggestions?

Not sure, but sounds like something may have let go in the clutch. Good Luck!

If you search, you’ll see people warning about letting a vehicle coast with dual t-cases. That 80:1 (or greater) reduction becomes an 80:1 (or greater) multiplier and your clutch disc is suddenly spinning a bazillion rpm and disintegrates.

With a stock single t-case, you don’t get quite so great a multiplier, but you’re still likely in the range of 40:1. Depending on your axle gearing and how fast you let it roll back the hill, it could still have done damage.

Took the drive shafts off and dropping the transmission and transfer case today, hopefully it is just the clutch i will update tonight when we get everything dropped and figure out for sure, appreciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom