Transfer Case Carnage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I got this cruiser there was a flood of T/C fluid coming out of the rear output shaft seal. Well, today I started to take stuff apart to replace it. On thing I noticed was that the output flange had a LOT of fore and aft movement and it moved up and down a lot. So much movement that the seal - which was stuck to the flange - could pe pulled away from the case with the nut still one. I hope that makes sense. All of this with the driveshaft off.

Took the nut off the shaft and I could move the shaft up and down and in and out. Pulled the bearing cover and the bearing was so toasted I could pull the cage off and all of the bearings just fell out.

Here they are:

1214819369_PVR78-M.jpg

The inner race is still on the shaft:

1214819516_deBei-M.jpg

This is a dumb question but is it rebuild time for the transfer case?

Seems like it to me.

How hard of a job is this? I have the FSM and have looked at a lot of the threads on the forum. Seems like it is doable if you wake your time and think it through.

Any thoughts are welcome!

obviously you need to rebuild.

any more use out of that tcase, and you will do way more damage

tcase is pretty easy to rebuild. only hard part are the output bearings which require a press to take off/assemble the bearing. first time i rebuilt my transfer case it took a week of afternoons

the front out bearing can be changed with a hammer/wood
the rear out bearings need to be taken out for the bearings

you can find a local machine shop to the rear output bearingS part for you. if anyone charges more then 10-20$/bearing to re-re; anything more and they are trying to rip you off.
(side story: i had a transmission shop tell me it would cost 1-2 hours of labour to re-re a pinion bearing, i laughed at the guy)

good luck, hope you gears arent chewed

Last edited:
Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters probably has the best price for a rebuild kit. And he is a great guy to deal with. Make sure you have an FSM and dive in, it's not that hard.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom