transfer case 'cap' leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello everyone i'm new here and i have enjoyed readiding your posts.
anyway' i have a 1990 wagon with a leak from my transfer case. it seems to be coming from some sort of drain cap on the back left. seems like an old radiator cap. i can't seem to find it on any exploded views of the case . any idea where i can get one of these? thanks

Radiator cap?

068B.gif

Is it the #1 in the pic with 6 bolts holding it on?

i don't think so. it has a raised ridge , maybe used to torn it. when you turn it it spins. there is some kind of wire to the top right of it with a plug into the case. thanks

can you say which number on the diagram might be it. the wire with the plug sounds like the speedo

Raised ridge makes me think you're looking at the end of the idler shaft and oil is getting past the O-ring. If this is the case and you're able to turn it, then the retainer clip has broken off (look for a threaded hole with the remnants of a broken bolt inside)...you need to stop driving your rig immediately. Without the retainer clip in place the idler shaft will eventually walk out of the case resulting in absolute carnage. Big $$$ to repair properly...ask me how I know. :beer:

My T/case leaks pretty good from the idler shaft but it's still retained well.......

Rebuild down the road................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom