transfer case breather Help lx450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at my breather tube that comes out of the top of my transfer case. I have a little bit of oil coming out of my front output shaft after a new bearing and seal. (shaft not grooved either) I can not blow air in or out of the check valve. Is this electronically controlled? The reason I ask is because it looks like some sort of modul and doesn't look like your typical check valve. I cant find any information on this. Any help would be great.

Last edited:
Not sure your year, but I believe my '93 t-case vents to a tee that is connected to something else that vents to somewhere. Been a while since I've looked at it.
You could be looking at that tee.
Pics'er good.

IMG_0997.jpeg

Best pic I got. If you zoom in, you can see the T referenced above.

Coming off the back is 3/8ish fuel line. Coming off the passenger side is Toy vacuum.

I dont think either are check valves.

View attachment 3323216

Coming off the back is 3/8ish fuel line. Coming off the passenger side is Toy vacuum.

Thanks for the pictures. This helps a lot, especially because these are hard to see since they are right under the floor board. How then does the transfer case breathe??

Not sure your year, but I believe my '93 t-case vents to a tee that is connected to something else that vents to somewhere. Been a while since I've looked at it.
You could be looking at that tee.
Pics'er good.

View attachment 3323216

I was wondering (when you get a chance) if you could send me a picture on the other side of the case where I circled it in red. I'm trying to see where that breather tube connects into.

transfer case red circle.jpg

Sorry, man. Mines back in the rig. IIR the passenger side vacuum line connects to the CDL actuator.
@Rouleur may still have one apart he can snap a pick of for you.

Sorry, man. Mines back in the rig. IIR the passenger side vacuum line connects to the CDL actuator.
@Rouleur may still have one apart he can snap a pick of for

@Rouleur may still have one apart he can snap a pick of for you.
Thank you for your help. Now I know how the CDL works. I hope my transfer case breaths through some other method.

Actual transfer case breather, is the larger line in the foreground/DS and connects to the top of the Tcase as in the picture, I redid mine using 1/4 fuel line. It would be a PITA to replace in situ but you may be able to do it by pulling the shifter assembly as all the breathers run along the top of the tranny and connect to the transmission fill tube.

This information is available in the Toyota FSM.
There are 2 breathers on the transfer case.
1 at the base of the CDL actuator housing and 1 at the top rear of the oil pump housing.
They both connect to each other along with the transmission breather.
There is no electronic control of any of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom