Trans Temp guage idea? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LC4LIFE

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I have been wanting to have real time transmission temp for some time and now that I have a new camper trailer and will be towing It will be more important to have the temp of the tranny. I do, however, want it to remain factory looking inside. I have had the thought that since I run a Scanguage inside for my engine temp, maybe I could get another temp sensor on the tranny and wire it to the gauge cluster temp indicator for engine temperature. In essence I would have the Scanguage for coolant temp and the stock temp guage in the cluster for the tranny. I havent broken out the electrical manual to look yet, but I figured posting it up would be a good start.

Thoughts?

I have been wanting to have real time transmission temp for some time and now that I have a new camper trailer and will be towing It will be more important to have the temp of the tranny. I do, however, want it to remain factory looking inside. I have had the thought that since I run a Scanguage inside for my engine temp, maybe I could get another temp sensor on the tranny and wire it to the gauge cluster temp indicator for engine temperature. In essence I would have the Scanguage for coolant temp and the stock temp guage in the cluster for the tranny. I havent broken out the electrical manual to look yet, but I figured posting it up would be a good start.

Thoughts?

I'm looking to do the same. Any ideas?

How would the stock temp gauge work for a temp gauge for the tranny? Just curious. I would want to see my temp 'numbers' if I was going that far... I put a round gauge on my tranny and mounted it to the DS A-pillar.

you should be able to unplug the engine water temp gauge and extending the wire down to the trans. a ~91 tercel engine water temp gauge is a 1/8npt and would be easy to install in the trans oil pan if you weld or braze a bung in place.

however, that said, I would prefer to install an auxiliary gauge instead of re-labelling the dash gauge. You can put the trans temp gauge anywhere. in the glove box. in a pod mount in the a-pillar. in the console next to the shifter. etc.

Does your 80 have an ATF temperature light in the dash like mine? If so i really don't see the point to having a gauge. It's not like the gauge will tell you it's getting too hot before the light will.

Spend your money on something fun, although equally as useless like fluffy dice!

Does your 80 have an ATF temperature light in the dash like mine? If so i really don't see the point to having a gauge. It's not like the gauge will tell you it's getting too hot before the light will.

Spend your money on something fun, although equally as useless like fluffy dice!

The OP is using his Cruiser to tow a trailer, so there is good reason for him to be able to monitor transmission temp. Idiot lights provide no warning of an impending high temperature condition, in fact they are notorious for coming on too late.

just use a digital readout and a thermocouple stuck on the tranny outlet line. Works fine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom