trans problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 97 LC has no power when I shift into reverse?
I had asked this question before and I have checked the wiring and all seems well. It drives out fine, smooth shift thru gears in forword but when I have to back up the engine sputs sputters and even back fires. Has anyone ever had this type of problem?

No one in this forum know why. I had this problem with my lc95. i had to replace the ATM with used one cost me 1000 us $. The toyota service center also wanted to tear the ATM and replace worn parts for 3000 us $. I am sure this is a manufacturing fault in the first palce specially in ATM A4420F model 95 t0 97.

I'm no expert on trannys, but I can immediately think of two possibilities:

1. The reverse solenoid is bad--just need a new one. But this may not explain the sputtering. But you should be able to check this out without spending anything.

2. Valve body bad. This would require R&R of the valve body which would be expensive. Had one go on a minivan I had many moons ago, though it too did not cause the sputtering issue you describe.

I'm sure others more knowledgable will chime in. These trannys don't go bad often; when's the last time you did a fluid change, etc.?

The fluids were changed out 7k miles ago. My check engine light is now on, had flashed a few times in the past and it showed it had a bad O2 sensor which has been replaced.
Thanks for the input
Phil

Have you check the wiring harness that goes by the EGR pipe? If not check to see if you have that harness against the pipe or see if you can see a burned spot next to it or maybe melted wires. You may have a problems here, if not take to a tranny shop that works on toyota trannies to make a second diagnosis. later robbie

Thanks
I will look at these this afternoon...I will have a tough time finding good tranny tech in the Nashville TN area

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom