Trans Fluid Hose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.willenosphotography.com
Is this an OEM hose?? In the process of installing my new radiator and have a question about the markings on the trans fluid hoses. I completely overhauled all fluid hoses 5 years ago and can't remember where I got the hoses for the trans coolers. I know that you need to install hoses that are made for the specific purpose. I am guessing that I purchased pre-formed OEM hoses.. but my almost 70 year old brain is out to lunch as to whether I did.. or did not. I definitely short circuit when I read the markings on these trans cooler hoses I now have in place.. since they don't have any kind of SAE marking. I am guessing that I would not have used them if they were not for trans fluid.. or I was just brain dead and did not pay attention. They do appear to state "A/T Oil".. sort of.

Please see the attached photo and hopefully someone can say OEM or not.

Thanks for helping an old farl out who is blind and brain dead!! 😎

IMG_0608.JPG

Last edited:
Since I am not 100% sure if the hose in the photo is OEM or is for transmission fluid. Even tho' I am the one that installed it 5 years ago. I am installing new that even says right on it.. "Gates Transmission Oil Cooler Hose SAE 100R6"

Sort of expensive per foot. However a lot cheaper than finding dissolved hose plugging solenoids and ports 5 years from now in my failed transmission!!

Is this an OEM hose?? In the process of installing my new radiator and have a question about the markings on the trans fluid hoses. I completely overhauled all fluid hoses 5 years ago and can't remember where I got the hoses for the trans coolers. I know that you need to install hoses that are made for the specific purpose. I am guessing that I purchased pre-formed OEM hoses.. but my almost 70 year old brain is out to lunch as to whether I did.. or did not. I definitely short circuit when I read the markings on these trans cooler hoses I now have in place.. since they don't have any kind of SAE marking. I am guessing that I would not have used them if they were not for trans fluid.. or I was just brain dead and did not pay attention. They do appear to state "A/T Oil".. sort of.

Please see the attached photo and hopefully someone can say OEM or not.

Thanks for helping an old farl out who is blind and brain dead!! 😎

View attachment 2454869

Yes, 100% OEM. :)

Yes, 100% OEM. :)

Wow.. my aged brain has just finished regenerating itself and the flickering tungsten filament came to life. Now knowing they are OEM.. that also helped me remember where I got them from!!

Sheesh! Taking the Gates hose back tomorrow.

Gates hose is fine, as long as it's transmission hose. The OEM hose is 10 mm and Gates is 9.5, so it can be a little tight, but it is an acceptable substitute.

So would 3/8” hose be acceptable?
Yes. 3/8 = 9.525mm. Gates trans cooler hose is what I replaced my old hoses with a few years ago.

Yes. 3/8 = 9.525mm. Gates trans cooler hose is what I replaced my old hoses with a few years ago.

Just wondering if you replaced any other of the transmission rubber lines? I did my trans cooler 9 years ago. Whenever I go somewhere remote I remember I should have changed the rest.

@Rwhat.. take the time and get them changed. Then you won't have to worry about them anymore. Pressure and heat flow thru those lines. Toyota makes incredible hoses that last a long time. However if one did spring a leak.. you might not notice right away until the A/T light came on. So make sure you have access to more A/T fluid to put back in after you make the field repair to those other hoses that you didn't get changed.

As you know.. now that you are thinking of it and are aware.. things happen. You don't want to find yourself saying "I was going to replace those hoses.. dang-it!!"

Just wondering if you replaced any other of the transmission rubber lines? I did my trans cooler 9 years ago. Whenever I go somewhere remote I remember I should have changed the rest.
I replaced all hoses as part of my base lining process. The hose that routes from the steel line out of the trans across the front of the engine under the fan and to the inlet of radiator cooler is formed so I used an OEM replacement for that one but I’m sure it’s not mandatory.

I replaced all hoses as part of my base lining process. The hose that routes from the steel line out of the trans across the front of the engine under the fan and to the inlet of radiator cooler is formed so I used an OEM replacement for that one but I’m sure it’s not mandatory.

Yes.. I too used the pre-formed OEM hose during my baselining. In fact it was that hose I posted a photo of originally. I like pre-formed as they work great in tight spaces. Plus trying to bend a hose too much always leads to trouble down the road and I have not figured out how to pre-form a hose myself.

I am in the process of getting all the preliminary stuff out of the way in order to install my Ron Davis radiator with Spal fans. Lots of tidying up for a super clean installation. Turns out MY Ron Davis radiator has 14mm x 1.0 flare bosses for the trans cooler hoses and that turned out a problem for me solve. When I first purchased my LX80 at 105k.. the OEM radiator that I replaced.. which just to error on the side of precaution did NOT have flare fittings on the ends of the trans cooler lines. Only barbed fittings at the radiator. It WAS the original radiator. In fact the CSF I bought to replace it only had barbs as well. So this is when the whole trans cooler line debacle started to form up. Then there were the markings on the hose and my confusion ratcheted up a few notches.

So to make a long story short.. sort of. @NLXTACY saved my bacon with his 14mm to 1.0 flare adapter to AN-6. Then I sourced a Russell 90º 6-AN to 3/8" barb. Had to be 90º as there is not enough room for a straight fitting. Then I looked at the hose in question that was laying on the bench.. had forgot about that part of the equation. Markings.. Yikes.. what are they. It is a pre-formed hose.. must be OEM. But according to feedback from people who have LC answers.. the OEM hose / radiator has flare fittings.. major doubt sets in as to where is my remembrance and what the hell is going on. Turns out that this LX80 NEVER had flare fittings and it was the original radiator that I removed according to a call to the original owner.

So going back to the Gates hose. No need for a pre-formed hose. Straight onto the Russell barb fitting and straight on to the hard line from the trans. Good thing I didn't return it. Life is good and my world is all in place now. Radiator slips into place tomorrow with my wife's help so we don't scratch up the "Exquisite Piece of Fine Art"! Then I am ready to solve the next debacle!!

Like your tag line states.. LandCruiser Solution’s you didn’t know you needed.

My smile was 3 miles wide when I found the metric flare to AN-6 adapters on your website. As you know Ron Davis was pretty surprised as well. Great job Joey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom