GX460 Transmission fluid cooler (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone run a transmission cooler on their truck? My GX runs around 190-200 degrees on a normal daily drive. I’m worried that when I tow long distances that my trans will hate me. I’m looking into the Hayden 679 cooler but I wanted to see what others are running. Thanks.

I put a OEM one on mine but any cooler should be as good or better. I also keep the thermostatic switch pinned open at least in the hotter months.

I need to do this.

No. Only the liquid cooled one plumbed into the driver side of the radiator. Air cooled AT cooler was never installed stock in any '10-'19 460 in the US. The 470s could be equipped with them if they had tow package IIRC.

2020 with off-road package is the first US 460 year/trim to offer an external AT air cooler.

Quick check: Look through grill and if blank under horns it doesn't have the air cooler.

1.png

Here is mine during install of OEM cooler and what it would look like on a fully loaded Canadian GX 460.

2.jpg

Another note... only 3 zone HVAC 460s have the AC condenser fan in first picture. Two zone do not.

Last edited:
What’s the cost of the entire OEM kit?

You may find cheaper elsewhere but purchased from Genuine OEM Parts & Accessories | OEM Vehicle Parts using a 50% off shipping code CLUBLEXUS.

I think I was around $407 for everything.

32943-35050 QTY:1 (NO. 4 OIL COOLER OUTLET HOSE)

32943-35060 QTY:1 (NO. 6 OIL COOLER OUTLET HOSE)

90119-06336 QTY:4 (On install steps bolts used on step one to attach all pieces but item listed as #1)

90080-11589 QTY:2 (On install steps bolts used to attach #1 on step one and step 2
NO. 3 OIL COOLER TUBE SUB-ASSEMBLY. This subassembly bolts to the cooler bracket)

90466-16004 QTY:8 (Hose clamps)

32948-60020 QTY:1 (Foam Seal for NO. 3 OIL COOLER TUBE SUB-ASSEMBLY)

32913-60260 QTY:1 (Driver side attached bracket to cooler)

32913-60270 QTY:1 (Lower attached bracket to cooler)

32943-60610 QTY:1 (NO. 5 OIL COOLER INLET HOSE)

32943-60620 QTY:1 (NO. 5 OIL COOLER OUTLET HOSE)

32907-60290 QTY:1 (NO. 3 OIL COOLER TUBE SUB-ASSEMBLY)

I purchased OEM cooler from Megazip for less than $230

or you could purchase for more domestically.

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 7.16.22 PM.png

Appreciate the part number info gents.

Towing even our 1,300 lb off road camper, nto the mountain this weekend, netted me trans temps of 210-215 on the long uphill climbs. Rest of the time it stayed around 195 or so. Definitely need to look into this more.

I'll be towing around 3000lbs this weekend out to Big Bend. Roughly 600 miles/9+ hours one way at 60-75 mph. It'll be a good test for the standard setup prior to an aftermarket cooler and brake controller. I don't anticipate much of an issue this time of the year with temps, but I will definitely keep an eye on it. Looking forward to adding both.

@Tex68w I tow an average of about 3000 lbs back and forth to AZ on a regular basis and it's not bad at at all. The cooler air temps make it easy on the trans. I have the factory cooler I'm installing as this summer headed in and our of Mesa, AZ with trailer worries me.

I cannot comment specifically on a GX, but I threw a Hayden 679 on my FJ and WOW...huge difference. Consistently seeing 40-50 degree less temps on the Scangauge. Screw letting your trans get up above 200 when with a cooler it wont even come close.

@Tex68w I tow an average of about 3000 lbs back and forth to AZ on a regular basis and it's not bad at at all. The cooler air temps make it easy on the trans. I have the factory cooler I'm installing as this summer headed in and our of Mesa, AZ with trailer worries me.

Yea it's the hotter summer temps coming up that worry me. I'll install a transmission cooler for sure. What are the other options aside from the factory cooler?

Hayden. They make a few sizes. The larger one is the 679. It is probably overkill but what a lot of guys run...just get one based on how much space you have to mount it. I got it cheap off RockAuto when I purchased.

Hayden. They make a few sizes. The larger one is the 679. It is probably overkill but what a lot of guys run...just get one based on how much space you have to mount it. I got it cheap off RockAuto when I purchased.

Did you buy all of the factory plumbing that @22Eyunu35VO posted above or did it come with its own?

Did you buy all of the factory plumbing that @22Eyunu35VO posted above or did it come with its own?

I have a FJC, so no. I just came in to comment on how great trans coolers are. Very happy with the 679 though for what its worth. On the FJC I just added it inline to the factory trans cooler that is part of the OE radiator, so it was stupid simple in my case.

After installing the OEM trans cooler- what temps are you guys now seeing? Would be good to compare cooling performance with the after market option against OEM cooler temps. As for ease of install, the aftermarket will require creating your own mounting solution vs OEM being designed to perfectly fit into that space with all the brackets, hoses etc. Not huge deal if you're a little bit handy. If budget is consideration; with an aftermarket option the total investment would be under $100 vs $400 for OEM. We've got a 2016 GX and I'm considering this addition.

Seconding the benefit of adding a cooler- I recently installed an aftermarket cooler onto my FJ and similar to the post above, it dropped the temps 40-50 degrees. Anecdotally, at 115k miles the trans fluid that came out was not burnt but it was very, very dark ( needed changing).

Surprising that the LC/LX 100 & 200 platforms come with trans cooler but the 150/FJ platform don't get em.

Bump on this.... I have a 2018 GX460 Luxury with a factory hitch. Going to be doing a lot of towing in the future....

Also how are you guys monitoring your temps?

I use OBD Fusion/Link. I've heard the Scangauge and some other OBD products works as well but very little experience with them. You can also read TPMS values of PSI & Temp. I consider it my portable Techstream as the only ECU on mine it can't read PIDs from is the KDSS one.

'14+ models also have a thermal degradation estimate. You can pull this number up with product I listed above.

screen_shot_2017_06_16_at_7_40_08_am_fa6108ce47f24f85edbd8e6fe646c78462eb94e3_856dfa57a005d464e9061ef04ace52f34e0ad29d.png

If you want to watch torque converter lockup in OBD Fusion or Link

You will need your model year enhanced diagnostics pack and no formulas. Just add the gauges and go.

Add the following gauge into a dashboard ----> PID ---> Toyota, Lexus Scion ----> Engine and Electronic Controlled Transmission ----> STATUS OF THE LOCK UP

It will register with a "1" on gauge for locked and "0" for unlocked

This was before/after test with just the OEM cooler back in 2019 testing.

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 3.41.46 AM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom