GX460 Transmission fluid cooler (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bump on this.... I have a 2018 GX460 Luxury with a factory hitch. Going to be doing a lot of towing in the future....

Also how are you guys monitoring your temps?
Scanguage II - , Torque Pro BT, there are PIDs available pull TFT.

Bump on this.... I have a 2018 GX460 Luxury with a factory hitch. Going to be doing a lot of towing in the future....

Also how are you guys monitoring your temps?

I use a scan gauge 2 to monitor temps. My wife’s GX towed my crawler pretty good but now that I got an LX570 her GX will not be towing anymore. I did put a Hayden trans cooler on and it worked great! 20-30 degrees cooler on average. I will be doing the same on my LX next oil change.

570 doesnt have a factory trans cooler mounted in front of the condensor??

With an average of about 10° F, it definitely looks like a tranny cooler is a must if towing.

Here is the factory one and you can find a ome copy for $80. OEM AT Cooler Install - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

i will go with a larger aftermarket whe I do mine, I like the WATS kit but too pricey.

Last edited:
I'm going to be towing around 5000 pounds one single time from Maryland out to SLC, UT - around 2000 miles, with a trip up and over the Rockies. It will be in August and likely quite hot outside. I have no other planned towing needs now or in the future (not planning on buying a boat, or a camper, don't haul motorcycles/cars, etc). Any thoughts on whether I should install an aftermarket brake controller and/or trans cooler?

I won't be in any special rush on this trip and have no problem just cruising at 55MPH the whole time in the (edit: oops) left right lane. Also don't mind starting at 3am each day and getting done by noon to avoid the afternoon heat. One important note: My 2017 GX is still under factory warranty till 2023 so I don't want to void it.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm going to be towing around 5000 pounds one single time from Maryland out to SLC, UT - around 2000 miles, with a trip up and over the Rockies. It will be in August and likely quite hot outside. I have no other planned towing needs now or in the future (not planning on buying a boat, or a camper, don't haul motorcycles/cars, etc). Any thoughts on whether I should install an aftermarket brake controller and/or trans cooler?

I won't be in any special rush on this trip and have no problem just cruising at 55MPH the whole time in the left lane. Also don't mind starting at 3am each day and getting done by noon to avoid the afternoon heat. One important note: My 2017 GX is still under factory warranty till 2023 so I don't want to void it.

Suggestions?

yes and yes in my opinion. Cooler temps mean a happier trans, towing or not. As for trailer brakes I again would say yes. I towed my crawler home with the wife’s GX without a brake controller and I definitely felt the trailer pushing on the truck as I was stopping or slowing down. If I were you I would try and buy a used controller or just get an amazon special.

I won't be in any special rush on this trip and have no problem just cruising at 55MPH the whole time in the left lane. Also don't mind starting at 3am each day and getting done by noon to avoid the afternoon heat. One important note: My 2017 GX is still under factory warranty till 2023 so I don't want to void it.

Suggestions?

My $.02: get your prefered method for monitoring trans temps (borrow/buy any of the cheap OBD apps and adapters) drive 65 and normal times for most of the trip. Once you get to the front range and start crossing the mountains, maybe switch to 55 and early AM. Just keep an eye on everything and see what makes it happy.

I hauled about 5,000 lbs from east Texas to home in Colorado. Ran 75-80 most the way (I'm too impatient to do 55 for that long). Watched trans temps, had the u-haul trailer brakes only. Saw about 220-225 as an average trans temp even over passes. Kept it in 4S and even manually shifted to lower when climbing in elevation at lower speeds.

I think for a one time trip, I wouldn't put $600 into a trailer brake setup and all sorts of things. Hell, if you don't want to buy a OBD monitoring setup and can't find one to borrow locally, let me know and you can borrow my Scangauge for the trip.

Jake

I'm curious to see what color my fluid is next time now that I run a cooler. Every 460 owner I have seen who has drained fluid finds it quite dark.

If you watch for AT lockup you can keep things cooler on grades as well. This can be seen in OBD Fusion/Link and probably others as well.

Here is another GXOR member's fluid at 26K miles on a '15

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 2.06.08 PM.png

I did 4 drain and fills on mine and added the cooler before the 4th one at 56k miles. I'll drop the filter at 100k miles.

This was first drain at 56k miles

1.jpg
2.jpg

yes and yes in my opinion. Cooler temps mean a happier trans, towing or not. As for trailer brakes I again would say yes. I towed my crawler home with the wife’s GX without a brake controller and I definitely felt the trailer pushing on the truck as I was stopping or slowing down. If I were you I would try and buy a used controller or just get an amazon special.

Thanks for the input. I definitely agree with your points. I'm leaning towards buying and installing a brake controller on my own. Costs don't look too bad, around $150ish plus a Sunday afternoon. Looks like a 2-3 beer job based on that video I posted up-thread.

I hauled about 5,000 lbs from east Texas to home in Colorado. Ran 75-80 most the way (I'm too impatient to do 55 for that long). Watched trans temps, had the u-haul trailer brakes only. Saw about 220-225 as an average trans temp even over passes. Kept it in 4S and even manually shifted to lower when climbing in elevation at lower speeds.

I think for a one time trip, I wouldn't put $600 into a trailer brake setup and all sorts of things. Hell, if you don't want to buy a OBD monitoring setup and can't find one to borrow locally, let me know and you can borrow my Scangauge for the trip.

Good advice. I think I'm probably going to install the brake controller as that's a real safety item but I'll hold off on the trans cooler for now. I've actually got a cheap Amazon OBD reader (BAFX, I think) but still need to buy Torque Pro and test them out together, so should be set there. Really appreciate the offer though! I'll definitely leave early on the first day to get through the WV hills and hopefully temps will stay in the 60s for that early morning stretch. I'm also planning on stopping in Denver for a couple days on the way out so I can always install an aftermarket trans cooler while I'm there before hitting the real steeper grades.

If you go with a larger 3rd party cooler you will generally need to relocate the horns. Not a big deal but just keep that install piece in mind. I also keep my AT warmer/thermostatic switch pinned open all the time.

@22Eyunu35VO Somebody give this man a damn medal...🥇🏵🏆🚙🚐

If I was to buy an OEM like kit on Ebay, does it comes with everything for the install or do I have to buy additional hoses or couplings, etc.

That is probably a case-by-case purchase on what is purchased.

Basic connection with an aftermarket will be AT return line from radiator --> Inlet of AT Cooler --> Outlet of AT Cooler --> AT Return line below radiator.

Even if you go with an aftermarket cooler the OEM AT plumbing has a nice fit with a braided covering over the AT lines.

When using the OEM cooler, is the built-in cooler in the radiator then bypassed? I assume you just leave those connectors open?

Painfully obvious this is my next upgrade. Now studying everything I can find....

Does someone have the pdf tech file for removing the front end? (2018 gx460)

And where and what fluid is everyone using?

Thanks and enjoy the pic of the new house....

E670022E-5D65-4024-BC7B-89FEF21B2D55.jpeg

I just use Toyota WS but others have their own preferences.

This Texan with a '17 was able to install cooler without taking off the bumper. I think if you do go non-oem you may want to remove bumper as horns will need to then be relocated. I'm happy with OEM myself.

[Post 65]

Here are '14+ bumper cover removal from FSM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom