Trans Canada highway

Gumby

Supamod
Staff member
s-Moderator

I was looking at routes to take to go visit a buddy near Kalispell MT this summer. My plan is to take 15-20 days and ride my scooter out there and back with no set travel time or length of stay at his place. I was thinking about taking the Trans Canada out there from Sault Ste Marie out to Glacier Nat Park.

I'll probably run Wyo through Yellowstone and through the badlands on the way back. I was hoping to catch the BHCC, but it's cancelled. :frown:

Anybody have any experience with the TC hwy along that section? Good ride or no?

I realize going in that the food will suck, but the beer will be good. ;)

The Trans-Canada is no Interstate that's for sure. If you're looking for a decent 2 lane and sometimes 4 lane road then go for it. If you want a quick trip, take the Interstate!

Gumby,

I've done that stretch (part of it .. the ontario portion) a few times a year for 15 yrs. The scenary is something else! You jump up in elevation a number of times and skirt along the Lake (Superior) so you should make a point of stopping to take photos. There are also the Parks along Lake Superior ... the petroglyphs , Old Woman Bay etc etc . Also as you near Thunder Bay you will have to check out Oimet Canyon - put aside an hr or less to walk the trail and see the Canyon. There is also a suspension Bridge nearby privately operated by a family. The hwy should be quite reasonable .. but will be 2 lane most of the way from the Soo to the border. It will widen near towns, but won't hit a solid 4 lane until you get further West.

Let me know what else you'd like to know. Also PM me your route ... I might have to buy ta a beer, and give you a place to crash if you pass thru here, which it sounds you will :)

TY

I have been the length of the T Can several times, and I find it to be the faster way across Canada. I have also done various interstate routes from coast to coast several times. Having said that, the interstates are way nicer to dirve on in terms of road condition and amenities. The T Can passes through numerous small towns... where you slow down... and suffers from periodic road work delays and few all night gas stations. On the flip side, The sceenery is spectacular, and changes dramatically from region to region. Seems like the T Can also goes through much more wilderness, and undeveloped areas, with huge tracts of land that remain uninhabited... and I find that particularly endearing.

It should be a great road trip. You will see a heck of a lot doing it round like you are planning. Ironically, my wife and I were just doing the exact same trip last week, only in reverse, and were about 1800 miles into it, when we got a call that her Dad had died suddenly... so we turned around and drove back to Vancouver. We won't get to finish it for a while. Shame, the wife has never seen most of those parts. The Bad Lands are amazing... I love them, and I was looking forward to Yellow Stone... oh well... next time.

Good luck...

Gumby

Supamod
Staff member
s-Moderator

Good to hear. Two lanes is what I'm looking for. I'm not looking to get out there as fast as possible. The ride is the vacation, not the destination.

T Y L E R - I was planning on a stop through your area. I'll shoot you a PM when it gets closer to the time.

thorvald

dont know about the canadian part eh, but after yellowstone, id take highway 14/16 west till you hit gillette instead of 90. get to go through spotted horse (a one bar "town") mentioned in some movie peter fonda did. its a nice ride.

Top Bottom