TRANNY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IS THE 3 SPD TRANNY THE SAME FROM 68' TO I BELIEVE 74 WHEN THEY WENT TO A 4 SPD?? I'M LOOKING TO PIC UP A EXTRA AND IT IS FROM A 72'.

The '74 4 spd is different from all others, and hence the 4spd '74 transfer is too. '74 3 spd is same as early other than floor/column shift as far as I know.

THANKS GUYS. I WANT TO SWAP TO THE FLOOR SHIFTER SO THIS ONE WOULD BE NICE. THREE ON THE TREE A PAIN FOR WHEELING.

You don't have to replace the tranny to convert to a floor shifter. All you need is the top plate and shift lever from a floor shift tranny. It is a pretty easy conversion. Alot easier than swapping a tranny if yours still works well.

This is a whole other discussion, but instead of going through the trouble and expense of a floor shift 3 spd, unless you are dead set on 3 spd, I would consider a SM420 swap. Pin Head has done it, and after exams I plan on going the SM420 route as well. MUCH lower 1st gear (7.05:1) that is not synchro and then a higher but still lower than 3 spd 1st 2nd gear that is synchro. So on the road except for very steep hill starts you have a all synchro 3 spd, and offroad you have an extremely low 1st. Not too difficult of a swap either, search on this page for sm420 and look at the tech page. I'm just throwing up another option here. :)

I am in the process of getting everhing together for an SM420 conversion. I already converted my 3 speed from column to floor shifter, and the tranny works pretty well so I am taking my time and finding parts as I can, but I agree, if I were doing it all from scratch, I would not put any money into a 3 speed.

I don't care how hard or slow shifting people say the SM420 is, it can't be any worse than the 3 speed. :)

I'M A LITTLE SHORT ON THE FLOW RIGHT NOW AND GETTING A SMOKING DEAL (POSSIBLY) ON THIS TRANNY. FIGURED I WOULD USE THE FLOOR SHIFTER AND HAVE A BACK UP TRANNY.

That is pretty much how I went. I bought the cruiser with 3 on the tree. I found a used 3 speed with floor shifter parts. Took a couple hours total to change the top plates out. It was actually cheaper to buy a whole tranny with the parts I needed than buying the parts I needed.

If you just want floorshift, I've got two shifters I'd let go cheap :G

WHATCHA ASKING? HAVE THE SHIFTER AND EVERYTHING I NEED TO PUT IT ON THE FLOOR?

How about $20. plus shipping on the shifter. It's still on the trans, I'll unbolt it and package it up. will have the shifter, top plate, shifter forks and whatever else comes with it.

Having done that swap (3 on the tree to floor shift) years ago I recall all that was needed was the plate and shifter--no forks or internals. You will have to rewire the back up light switch. After fretting about it the swap turned out to be one of the easiest things I ever did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom