1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tranny won't seperate!

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Bradass80, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Bradass80

Bradass80

I did a search but din't get any results, my buddy is restoring a 78 fj-40 and is ready to pull the motor but the tranny will not seperate from the motor/torque converter, the t-case is in neutral and all drive shafts are taken off, any tricks to this?, TIA Brad.

2. zetasig

zetasig

If possible and I think most would agree. Pull the whole thing in
    one piece. Engine, trans and Transfer. Much easier.
    Assuming this is all OEM toyota
    there are at least four bolts holding the trans and bell housing to the engine. Those need to be pulled.

3. offcamber40

offcamber40

Ive seen the trans get stuck and seized on the pilot bearing.. With some prying and some pulling, it usually comes apart. Like mentioned above, it is much easier with the engine out. Actually, there was an old post with some of the board members doing all insane stuff to pull them apart.. that was a crazy post.. I hope your issue is something else, they ended up taking a BMF hammer and destroying the thing to get it apart if i remember correctly. That was after they tied the engine block to a post, and the tranny to their other truck and pullked and it didnt come apart! :eek:

4. Landpimp

Landpimp

What is the trany? it must be an automatic if it has a torque converter. No help.....but some more info might help.

John H

[quote author=Bradass80 link=board=1;threadid=13881;start=msg128713#msg128713 date=1080576139]
    I did a search but din't get any results, my buddy is restoring a 78 fj-40 and is ready to pull the motor but the tranny will not seperate from the motor/torque converter, the t-case is in neutral and all drive shafts are taken off, any tricks to this?, TIA Brad.
    [/quote]

5. Bradass80

Bradass80

Landpimp- You're the pimp as usual, i ment to say bell housing not torque converter, and it's all OEM 78 40series cruiser shiat, Brad.

6. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    The trans is secured to the bellhousing by four bolts, two on top, two on the bottom, the bellhousing is secured to the engine by six, two on top on the outside, and four inside the bellhousing, that can not be accessed with out the removal of the clutch/flywheel assemblies..

As many have suggested, this can be removed as an assembly, engine trans and t-case..or, you can use the hoist through the pass side and drop the trans and t-case assembly to the floor, after removing the tunnel, gas tank and seats, and then remove the engine...

Both methods work fine, time consuming no matter what...

Good luck!

-Steve

7. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

[quote author=offcamber40 link=board=1;threadid=13881;start=msg128819#msg128819 date=1080584544]Actually, there was an old post with some of the board members doing all insane stuff to pull them apart
    [/quote]
    I got the pics and a movie..... :D
    yeah it was a freak pilot bearing seizure-bearing was new, still greased.
    We eventually had to destroy the bellhousing, and removed the tranny with the clutch and PB attached. Torched the shaft to save the clutch (also new).

Hope you don't have the same problem we did....
    You should be able to pry them apart.....but bellhousings are cheap. :D

8. Tooth Fairy

Tooth Fairy

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=13881;start=msg128982#msg128982 date=1080601323]
    I got the pics and a movie..... :D
    yeah it was a freak pilot bearing seizure-bearing was new, still greased.
    We eventually had to destroy the bellhousing, and removed the tranny with the clutch and PB attached. Torched the shaft to save the clutch (also new).

Hope you don't have the same problem we did....
    You should be able to pry them apart.....but bellhousings are cheap. :D
    [/quote]

That has gotta be one of the weirdest thing I've ever heard of. We need a link to the vid.