tranny trasfer ID help adwise too (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need help ID ing my tranny and transfer case...

It is from a 74 fj40, should be a h42 tranny,

but i cant figure out the transfer, it is not a split case...

see pics...

also, i am at the place of pulling the tranny or leaving it in to add a Gear Reduction Box 2:1,

Would you pull the tranny, or leave it in?
Dsc04861a.jpg
Dsc04858a.jpg
Dsc04854a.jpg

one more pic

transfer
Dsc04856a.jpg

It's not a J30, so it's probably an H42. And the tcase looks like the stock case that goes behind the 4 speed. The split cse didn't come out till quite a bit later- like mid eighties I think..

Some 74s got the four speed and F.5 as it were... HTH

yes 4 speed and

are you calling it a "F.5" transfer?

Technically, it should be the transition year case with the lower 2.31:1 low as opposed to the newer cases behind the 2F which had the 1.99:1 low. A somewhat sought after case because of the lower ratio and yet it will still fit the output of the four speed trannys. Right now I'm adapting a '73 case to fit my H41 (Aussie four speed) because it was "supposed" to have come out of a '74.:bang:

Sor and the tech links at the top of the page have breakdowns of what years went with what motor tranny combos...

are you calling it a "F.5" transfer?

" F " designation is for a gas, six cylinder engine; it has NOTHING to do with a gearbox/transfer case.

That is a sixteen-spline input, one-piece Land Cruiser transfer case that was removed from a four-speed Land Cruiser transmission that if it was from a USA truck, would be known as a H42.

FYI- The 'split case' or two-piece Land Cruiser transfer case started in 08/80.

splines worn

yes, i saw that, and it will need to be cut short for the gear reduction box anyways, plus maybe a 32 spline replacement is in order to match my GRB 2:1 input (female).

so, anyone not removing the tranny at this point?

i mean, clutch check, through out bearing, fly wheel check, that little bearing at the back of the crankshaft... seal checks...

ok, i guess i am answering my own question...

which transfer is this

am trying to ID my trasfer case.

any clues what it is refered to as "..." ???

tranny is an H42-4speed, 16 spline output.
Dsc04854a.jpg
Dsc04856a.jpg

It looks like the small idler shaft and a 10 spline up front with the smaller bolt pattern on the flange. Roll it over and look at the drain plug. That will tell you.

Count the teeth on the transfer input gear. If it's 29 it's a lower geared third speed case. If it's 31 it is a four speed case. The hi/lo shift would be off a later four speed case.

I've seen this for many years. Probably the first time in the Trails back in the ninties. I'm wondering when something better will be done? 64 to 66 is really the 61 to mid 63 transfer case with the small cover for the back of the transmission shaft. I've had more then one 64 to 66 transfer case and they all had the six bolt covers. One case is is 70 to 1/75 then another is 74 to 7/78. There is a full year over lap. Did we get two different case in 74? Plus I remember the first time I seen one of the larger idler shaft case. I know they were not USA imports but for what years? I really wonder how accurate this chart is.

am trying to ID my trasfer case.

any clues what it is refered to as "..." ???

tranny is an H42-4speed, 16 spline output.

This was answered at 9:44pm in your other thread on this topic. :rolleyes:

In case you missed it in your other thread it is now post #7 in this thread...

"That is a sixteen-spline input, one-piece Land Cruiser transfer case that was removed from a four-speed Land Cruiser transmission that if it was from a USA truck, would be known as a H42."

Did we get two different case in 74?

We had the "Transition TransferCase". It came behind the 1.5F/LateF and the first of the 4-speed transmissions in 1974. Some say they started in 1973. They definitely ended in 1975. I've had 2 of those T/Cs, both out of 12/'74 builddates.
There were still 3-speed transmissions & transfercases sold in 1974, so we did have 2 different transfercases in 1974.

We had the "Transition TransferCase". It came behind the 1.5F/LateF and the first of the 4-speed transmissions in 1974. Some say they started in 1973. They definitely ended in 1975. I've had 2 of those T/Cs, both out of 12/'74 builddates.
There were still 3-speed transmissions & transfercases sold in 1974, so we did have 2 different transfercases in 1974.

I realize the first part of 74 started with the three speed and switched to a four speed with lower transfer case. I converted my 68 to a four speed with the lower geared transfer using these parts. I was making reference to the chart showing two different transfer case housings for the entire year not a mid year change which I believe happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom