Tranny/tansfer Case Seal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a little problem come up with my Cruiser this weekend. I do not usually drive it very far but decided to take it camping and drove about 80 miles one way. When I got there the back of the truck was covered with a thin layer of fluid. We initially thought it was brake fluid but my mechanic said it was transmission fluid.

He did a thorough diagnostic on it and determined that the transmission fluid was very low and the transfer case/universal was over filled. Somehow the transmission fluid got in there and filled it up so much that the fluid was coming out of the top of it where the speedometer unit goes into it.

I purchased this cruiser from BJ70Alex (very knowlegable guy) in Bowling Green KY and he says this is a fairly common problem. Anyone got the specs/directions on how to replace the seal and get this solved?

DanPrice: The hose fix works when the transfer case is leaking into the transmission. When the seal between the two starts to leak the gears in the transfer case can pump the oil up into the transmission. The transmission is actually higher than the transfer case. The hose fix will let the oil overflow from the transmission and drain back into the transfer case.

It sounds like your leak is going the other way (same as mine), and I don't think the hose fix will work. You'd have to get your transfercase really full to have fluid overflow back up to the transmissions. And this will probably blow the rest of the seals on your transfer case.

The fix for the transmission leaking into the transfer case is to re-seal the transfer case. Buy a FSM (or download one from www.birfield.com) and read up on: removing the transmission with the transfer, rebuilding the transfer, etc. Good luck!

The leak at this seal is a feature of the FJ60. Normally it goes from transfer to tranny. Once the seal wears enough, it goes downhill. The only solution is a t-case rebuild.

Here is a pic of the seal in question:
H55f4.jpg

Mine does EXACTLY the same as Dan's.................

haven't checked fluid levels yet, but 240,000 miles the seal's prolly
non-existant.....

Thanks for the input! I will get busy with the fix as soon as I can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom