1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tranny/T-case splitting

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by MARKUS118, Oct 17, 2003.

1. MARKUS118

MARKUS118

Is there some trick to getting them apart. I have undone all the bolts I could find and still can't get them apart. Well, they are apart about an inch but won't go any further. Is there something that I'm missing? ???

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    what t-case/tranny?

FJ40 non-split cases are attached with 5 bolts, 3 visible and 2 behind the side cover. Split cases require complete disassembly to separate.

I have a custom plate that bolts onto the rear dome opening and uses a 3-jaw puller to separate them...works slick.

3. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

I've been able to separate the tranny and t-case using a 2 jaw puller between the tranny output shaft and two of the bolts from the transfer rear cover. You're pulling the bearing and tranny output gear off at the same time, that's why it's hard to get off.

4. fj40mayo

fj40mayo

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">