tranny swap what did i find? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a sbc with advanced adapter. and was told it had a new chevy clutch. the tcase was making horrible noises and i had received a spare 4speed and tcase with the truck. i pulled the tranny tcase but when i went to install the new unit the trow out bearing sleave didn't wan't to fit on the input shaft. my question, is there two diameter shafts. the shafts are the same lenth and spline count. the back of the shaft is clearly thicker. trannys are h42s. after researching the only thing i have found is that some people get the input shaft turned down to fit chevy throwout. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
i am pretty sure the fork and throwout hub are chevy. should a chevy trowout hub fit the toyota input shaft? can i just put a toyota fork and throwout bearing in with the chevy clutch. the bearing seems to be a bigger diameter.

does the throw out bearing fit on either 4spd. ,i had the same issue once when swapping trannys .i just swapped the front ouput shaft covers.(front bearing retainer) the bearing fit on the original tranny ?

Back in the 80's I installed a Downey 'kit' that used a Chevy TO bearing, arm, pivot & cast iron bellhousing. The bellhousing had a ~1/2" thick steel plate attached that was machined to bolt the Toy 4 speed to it. Part of this kit was a new bearing retainer for the front of the transmission that had been turned down to accept the smaller Chevy TO bearing.

More recently I used an AA kit that uses a special cast aluminum bellhousing, Toyota TO bearing, Toy arm and Chevy pivot. Both required the low-profile diaphram clutch.

Do either of these describe what you have as I may be able to help if I understand better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom