Tranny slipping on a 1991 FJ-80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a question on a 1991 FJ-80 a buddy has. I haven't looked at it yet, but he says that the tranny slips on it. Any ideas on what it could be? The mileage is over 200000, so I am thinking that it probably needs a rebuild. Any idea if this is the case or is there something that goes out on these that needs to be fixed without rebuilding the whole tranny. Thanks

Take this however you want.....On my 88 Toyota p/u auto, my tranny started slipping around 120K. My dad and I drained the atf and replaced it with WD40. The tranny stopped slipping and I got another 20k miles out of it. My dad said they did this with used cars at a lot he worked at back in the 60s. Try it, you might like it

You are kidding right? :D

I have heard alot of snake oil remides, but I have never heard that.

I am guessing you already had tried draining the fluid and changing the filter?

I wonder what the WD would do to make the tranny quit slipping?

How did it act as far as shifting, the same as normal?

Thanks

If the tranny shifts in all gears then the valve body is not the problem.

If it's slipping from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, then you might have a burnt one of these.
DSCF0577mud.jpg

phishtaco said:
Take this however you want.....On my 88 Toyota p/u auto, my tranny started slipping around 120K. My dad and I drained the atf and replaced it with WD40. The tranny stopped slipping and I got another 20k miles out of it. My dad said they did this with used cars at a lot he worked at back in the 60s. Try it, you might like it

hmm, quarts of WD40... Brilliant!

j,
check the kidk down cable first, then go into a drain and refill.
after that, well you know what to do.
Dave

Some 91/92 FJs stripped their front drive plate splines and this can be misinterpreted as a tranny slipping. You'll have to drive it to know - 'slipping tranny' 2nd hand is kinda vague..

DougM

PHAEDRUS said:
j,
check the kidk down cable first, then go into a drain and refill.
after that, well you know what to do.
Dave

How would you check the cable first? Maybe if it's loose? In my expereince there really is no good way of ruling out the kick down cable since the valve body has to drop out to release the cable.
A friend's A440 in his 62 was having issues actually shifting (not slipping) and the cable was the culprit but there was no way of telling until the cable was out and replaced. In his case, the cable was seizing in it's housing. We even went so far as to do a complete drop pan flush before we went in to change the cable.

weigellj said:
You are kidding right? :D

I have heard alot of snake oil remides, but I have never heard that.

I am guessing you already had tried draining the fluid and changing the filter?

I wonder what the WD would do to make the tranny quit slipping?

How did it act as far as shifting, the same as normal?

Thanks

Not kidding.....Tranny stopped slipping for 20k miles. This was 13 years ago. WD40 comes in gallon size for a reason;) Try it, you might like it. Its worth 10 bucks

land speeder et all.
if you are having slipping issues then adjust the kick down cable in towards the throttle body, making it effectively shorter. maybe half a turn then try, keep going until it gets better, if there is no change WTH try the wd-40.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom