Tranny Service Recommendations... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the middle of baselining all the fluids. I have searched with no luck...

On tranny, do you just drain/fill or exhchange fluids? what about the filter?

I personally prefer drain/fill frequently. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

hkimsoft said:
In the middle of baselining all the fluids. I have searched with no luck...

On tranny, do you just drain/fill or exhchange fluids? what about the filter?

I personally prefer drain/fill frequently. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

The filter is the metal screen type, you can remove and clean...probably a good thing to do if you are baselining.

The drain and fill method is preferred by many on this board to avoid damage by flushing. I did the frequent change thing 4 times then I started introducing M1 syn ATF-also preferred by many on this board.

whodat said:
The filter is the metal screen type, you can remove and clean...probably a good thing to do if you are baselining.

The drain and fill method is preferred by many on this board to avoid damage by flushing. I did the frequent change thing 4 times then I started introducing M1 syn ATF-also preferred by many on this board.

When cleaning do you recommend air blowing it? or some type of cleaning agent?

It's metal, so I'd use a cleaning agent to get any varnish type deposits off that air won't do.

DougM

Thanks to both WhoDat and ID... I will do just that...
It's 4 quarts drain/fill right?

HK,

You won't have access to the internal filter (a large screen, actually) with a drain/fill but it's still the right thing to do vs a flush. I don't have a 97 FSM for the capacity but I think it's a bit more than 4 (not much). You can likely look it up with search.

DougM

What we do is to drop the pan then remove and clean the filter. Then fill it back up and run it to temp then open the front radiator cooler line and stick it in a 5 gallon bucket. TUrn the motor on and you should get about 1 quart of ATF every 30 secoends or so. We do it in 4 quart rotations ie...run 4 quarts into the bucket, turn the truck off add 4 quarts to the tranny then repeat. We do this until we have about 5-7 gallons run through.

IdahoDoug said:
HK,

You won't have access to the internal filter (a large screen, actually) with a drain/fill but it's still the right thing to do vs a flush. I don't have a 97 FSM for the capacity but I think it's a bit more than 4 (not much). You can likely look it up with search.

DougM

I'm a first time AT owner (well actually had a Chevy Tahoe 4L60E go bad at 105k--that's why I now drive a Landcruiser!)...why is drain/fill better than flush?

There has been a lot of discussion of the potential damage flushing can do. Theoretically it loosens crap that is better off left alone. Trannys are very sensitive to particles/debris/junk. Thus it is better to let the tranny's own pump clean out the passageways versus a flushing machine pump.

SAS said:
I'm a first time AT owner (well actually had a Chevy Tahoe 4L60E go bad at 105k--that's why I now drive a Landcruiser!)...why is drain/fill better than flush?

I can relate to this!

"The Tahoe from Hell" that I bought new in '96 is the reason we have a Cruiser as well.

I'm surprised your 4L60E made it that far. Many have AT LEAST a TCC valve problem at around 60,000 even with perfect maintenance.

I'm going outside to hug my Cruiser!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom