1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tranny Service Recommendations...

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by hkimsoft, Jul 17, 2005.

1. hkimsoft

hkimsoft

In the middle of baselining all the fluids. I have searched with no luck...

On tranny, do you just drain/fill or exhchange fluids? what about the filter?

I personally prefer drain/fill frequently. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. whodat

whodat

Media:
    Albums:

The filter is the metal screen type, you can remove and clean...probably a good thing to do if you are baselining.

The drain and fill method is preferred by many on this board to avoid damage by flushing. I did the frequent change thing 4 times then I started introducing M1 syn ATF-also preferred by many on this board.

3. hkimsoft

hkimsoft

When cleaning do you recommend air blowing it? or some type of cleaning agent?

4. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

It's metal, so I'd use a cleaning agent to get any varnish type deposits off that air won't do.

DougM

5. hkimsoft

hkimsoft

Thanks to both WhoDat and ID... I will do just that...
    It's 4 quarts drain/fill right?

6. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

HK,

You won't have access to the internal filter (a large screen, actually) with a drain/fill but it's still the right thing to do vs a flush. I don't have a 97 FSM for the capacity but I think it's a bit more than 4 (not much). You can likely look it up with search.

DougM

7. dd113

dd113

What we do is to drop the pan then remove and clean the filter. Then fill it back up and run it to temp then open the front radiator cooler line and stick it in a 5 gallon bucket. TUrn the motor on and you should get about 1 quart of ATF every 30 secoends or so. We do it in 4 quart rotations ie...run 4 quarts into the bucket, turn the truck off add 4 quarts to the tranny then repeat. We do this until we have about 5-7 gallons run through.

8. SAS

SAS Seeking higher vistas

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm a first time AT owner (well actually had a Chevy Tahoe 4L60E go bad at 105k--that's why I now drive a Landcruiser!)...why is drain/fill better than flush?

9. whodat

whodat

Media:
    Albums:
    There has been a lot of discussion of the potential damage flushing can do. Theoretically it loosens crap that is better off left alone. Trannys are very sensitive to particles/debris/junk. Thus it is better to let the tranny's own pump clean out the passageways versus a flushing machine pump.

10. flintknapper

flintknapper

I can relate to this!

"The Tahoe from Hell" that I bought new in '96 is the reason we have a Cruiser as well.

I'm surprised your 4L60E made it that far. Many have AT LEAST a TCC valve problem at around 60,000 even with perfect maintenance.

I'm going outside to hug my Cruiser!