Tranny question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched on my question and only seem to find the common 2nd to 3rd slip problem. My question is when it is cold out at night and I go out the next morning should the tranny rev up to about 1300ish rpms before engaging when put in drive? It continues to do this for about eight blocks worth of lights and signs or until the heat kicks on. The only thing that has been done to it recently is the 60k service and a tranny cooler installed. This is on a 1992 fj80 with 68k. If anyone has had something like this happen I would appreciate some insight.

And yes I checked the tranny fluid!

Not normal but real common. I see it a bunch in 62s. Usually change the filter and fluid and it goes away or gets much better.

Age as well as miles hurts fluid.

When transmission fluid gets old it gets thick like motor oil. When it gets hot then it's thinner and the trans works better. Usually some fresh fluid will fix it.

The 60k service included a tranny flush and fill. Although I have read and heard some people say it may need to be flushed out a few times.

It looks sweet now since it blew the HG and had an inframe done by Charley's, I did it because of some unusual cylinder wall mirroring and not knowing the history of the LC. Now I can go 300k cause it was all Toyota oem parts.

And yes I checked the tranny fluid!

Did you check the fuild while at operating temp and with the engine running?
(When the engine is off, the TC drains it's fuild back down it to the pan.)

Does the fuild look: red rocket RED or Dark RED or BROWN?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom