Tranny problem or locker? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I recently did an SOA on my 88 FJ 62 (Auto tranny) and installed a lockright in the rear end in the process.
Now, when I shift to reverse, there's a big CLUNK! It also does this going back into gear from reverse. It doesnt happen all the time, but Id say about 50% of the time.
Is this the locker "unloading" or is my tranny about to take a s***?
I checked the tranny fluid and its "full", and I did the maint. stuff last spring with new filter etc.
It shifts fine otherwise, except the reverse- drive, and drive- reverse.
It scares the s*** outta me when it happens and im concerned its my tranny!
Ive never used an auto locker before, so I donno if its normal or not.

I ran a search for "auto locker" and there was really nothing regarding common symptoms, except, unloading around corners, wratcheting and stuff!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Chicago

I don't have a 62 but my 60 does something similar. I dug around and someone posted that it may be the the slip yolk on the shaft. My guess is it may be the ring and pinion sounding through the drivline. Do you have a lot of slop at the pinion? mine has about a 1/4 play before it engages. If eveything else is tight that may be the culprit. Hope this helps. Please follow up if you find anything different.

thanks, clint

It could be either, but if it didn't do it before you installed the lockright, then it is probably just the locker. They have more rotational play.

could it possibly be a really worn u-joint, or u-joints?

Thanks for the responses...
Theyre BRAND NEW 4.88's, and a brand new DC shaft as well.
I should have posted that...sorry!:eek:
It DID NOT do this before, UNLESS, I had to park on an incline.
Im hoping its just the locker (of course), but I guess until youve experienced an auto locker, there is nothing to prepare you for what they do in the rig.
While reading the posts in the search, some things mentioned really made sense, but the only issue I could not find was the one im experiencing, but then again....most of the posts were of manual trannies too.

Thanks,

Chicago

you might even want to unbolt the driveline all together and check for play in the rear diff yoke. Sometimes the driveline will bind up and wont move even if the bearing is toast (ask me how I know that one). I havent heard of those lockers "clunking" but I know detroits can sound like the world is coming to an end when they do there thing.

Last edited:
I would think that if it were a u-joint it would make the sound every time and not just half the time

My 62 does the same thing right after the lift and locker install. It's been over a year and no problems so far :rolleyes:

I have the same thing going on. I also get it when turning left at half-throttle about half the time. Huge clunk ! I just did the 4.11s and powertrax locker. Other than that noise all is well. I suspect I have a little too much slop in the diff and if I put a couple of more spacers in this noise would go away.

Although, the input gear in the t-case is known to wear the output shaft on the automatic tranny. It makes a clunk in older FJ62s and is a near universal problem. Do a search under McNamara gear.

I don't know why it would start now, though.

My guess would be tranny. Like Drew said, the output shaft tends to wear. I had the same problem with mine, and it just decided to show up one day. For me there was no gradual slight clunk to moderate clunk to big bang. One day it is fine, the next it is clunking. I kick myself for buying a factory new auto. It was perfect time to do the H55 swap. You could always unbolt the rear shaft, throw it in reverse and see if it makes the noise.

mine does it also 50% of the time, but im starting to think its got to much grease in the slip part. but i have no running troubles, no shift shock when getting down on the throttle, and no play in the rear. ive heard many complaints from 62 drivers and the 80s drivers over hearing this clunk. if you have no slack, no grinding noise then dont worry till you do hear something. i also must add i have a brand new tee case;) .pull your grease fitting out and let out some grease and tell me if you still hear it:D please:beer:

It is uasually the locker, Lockrites are know for being noisy and rough. The shaft on your carrier is smaller that the the groves machined in the side plates of the locker so everytime you shift and load the drive train you feel the locker rotate. It kind of sucks but once you get used to it it's not so bad. It is even worse with the four speed, every time the clutch goes in at low speeds you feel it. Good luck..Wayne

Sorry I havent kept up gents,
Im in MAUI on my honeymoon right now, so the landcruiser isnt the FIRST thing on my mind right now:grinpimp:

I crawled under the rig before I left, and everything is tight...U joints, the diff and yoke, and there is very little play in the diffs...just a smidge (yes, that is a techinichal term)!
When I return, Ill try unbolting the DS and stick her in reverse and see what that does...I didnt think of that.
Like I mentioned, it doesnt happen all the time and she shifts fine otherwise! Ill check the grease in the u joints as well!

Just a side note...
There are some built ass rigs out here in Maui...
SASing the tacomas is a BIG thing here as well, WIDE mudders are a common thing too!

Gotta go, the wife's ready

Chicago

Hahahah... yep that's where I went on my honeymoon too just 2 years ago... Lots of boggers around there. Make sure you do the "Road to Hana". Snorkling off Black Rock just below the Sheraton is the best!!! Have fun and Congrats!

Hey Chicago, congrats! :cheers:

My son lives on Maui so let me know where you're staying and I'll have him and some buddies move in with you for the remainder of your honeymoon.

:D

Hey Redcruiser and brokenparts,
Thanks!
Were staying in Kihei...Just got back from Lulu's and the wifes passed out from the Mai tai's and a special "chocolate cake" shot that the bar tender hooked us up with.
If youre ever in Maui, check out Lulu's...Its owned by a Chicago boy, and its a BLAST!
Does your son wheel here?
Looks like some fun wheeling up into the mountains?
I donno what kind of stuff there into, but I see some MONSTER rigs with some serious swamper's on em and MUDDY.
Gonna be doing some long board surfing tomorrow or the next day

Thanks for the congrats!
Im a very lucky man!

Ill post up what I find on the CLUNK in the rear end when I get home! 10 more days!!! I think I can wait!:grinpimp:
Work called said that there was a MANDITORY in-service at the hospital I had to come to...I told them, "you couldnt pay me enough to come home now"...They thought I was kidding!
It truly is AMAZING here!

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom