Tranny Power Flush (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently had a tranny "power flush" performed at the dealer. Apparently this is a fluid exchange system. I had asked them to remove the pan and clean the screen as well, but they said that since it uses a screen and not a filter, they don't need to remove the pan and clean the screen because the power flush would take care of it. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to auto trannies, so I thought I'd post this here and see what you guys think about this.

I would be curious about this too. I was about to have it done this weekend.

Toyota automatic transmissions use metal screens that do not require replacement unless they are damaged. It is a good idea to pull the pan once in a while to clean the magnets and see what is in the bottom. If the transmission is serviced regularly the screen will need no special attention. I recently had my pan off to change a couple solenoids at about 112,000 miles. The pan was last off at around 30,000 miles. There was very little in the bottom of the pan. I was plesantly surprised. In that time frame it had two fluid exchanges (not "flushes").

D-

cruiserdan- so you get a fluid exchange for your tranny once every 40k or so? Just curious how often you change the fluid in your tranny...

Since you are getting out all of the old fluid as opposed to 1/3 of it +/-, I feel that you can stretch the interval out to perhaps 45k or so.
That's my read on it, others may disagree. My reasoning is if you get a third every 15k, 3 thirds is 45k.
Pretty swift, no? :D

[quote author=alaskacruiser link=board=2;threadid=5297;start=msg41504#msg41504 date=1063663818]
I recently had a tranny "power flush" performed at the dealer. Apparently this is a fluid exchange system. I had asked them to remove the pan and clean the screen as well, but they said that since it uses a screen and not a filter, they don't need to remove the pan and clean the screen because the power flush would take care of it. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to auto trannies, so I thought I'd post this here and see what you guys think about this.
[/quote]

Well it's too late now but trany power flushes are a BAD thing IMOP to do to a higher mile Cruiser, especialy if it hasnt had regular fluid changes(not flushes), even on a well maintaned Cruiser I wouldn't do it. I hope you don't have any problem(and you problely won't) I think the flushing machine loosens up or blows loose little bits that then get stuck in other places......making trany work needed. I know of more than one Cruiser that needed trany work after a power flush. If in doubt of the service of a auto trany just change the fluid a few times in a row.

Oh......yes they are right as Dan mentioned.

Me I just drain out the 4gts or so out of the pan and refill now and then......

yes I lost my trany(4+ years ago) to a dealers power flush machine, I also think the kick down(TV) cable was out of adjustment for years causing some wear.

John,

I agree completely on the flush gig. It is very important to make a distinction between a flush and a fluid exchange. I do not like and will not recommend flushes. I do however quite like fluid exchanges. We have a machine that is hooked up in series with the oil cooler lines and the transmission's oil pump powers it. The old fluid is pumped into a reservoir and new is drawn in at the same rate. In addition, there are no cleaners induced.

D-

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=5297;start=msg41571#msg41571 date=1063679644]
John,

I agree completely on the flush gig. It is very important to make a distinction between a flush and a fluid exchange. I do not like and will not recommend flushes. I do however quite like fluid exchanges. We have a machine that is hooked up in series with the oil cooler lines and the transmission's oil pump powers it. The old fluid is pumped into a reservoir and new is drawn in at the same rate. In addition, there are no cleaners induced.

D-

your right there are different machines out there I know Snap On makes one that is like you speak of, local Snap On guy offered(and promished it would only do good things) to have a shop he just sold one to do a free fluid exchange on one of my auto's.........I passed just cause I still don't trust em and I didnt here an offer to rebuild my trany if it hurt it................. I feel better just draining and re filling myself

John
[/quote]

John,
Once burned, twice shy.

I do not fault you at all. I'd be spooked as well. I do want to re-state for the group DO NOT FLUSH (the transmission, that is) :flipoff2:

D-

I only drain the transmission oil on all of my vehicles every 15K and replace with Dixtron III accordingly, never flushed it at all.

Thanks

Al

We do tranny fluid exchanges at the shop, however I am not sure you can blame a flush machine for the demise of the tranny.

Firstly, what is the debri/dirt that is inside the tranny the misteriously get's dislodged? Parts of clutches going bad. Gunk buildup due to no maintenance?

Secondly, what pressure does the flush machine operate at vs the normal tranny pump? Never looked at them, but I doubt that they are that high pressure.

Just playing devil's advocate, but think if the tranny fails after a flush, the tranny as in a bad state already.

There have been numorous discussions on Bobistheoilguy about flushing transmissions. There are several theorys about why failures seem to happen after a flush:

1) Most of the people who have a flush are already experiencing problems and the flush fails to cure them.

2) The flush takes material off the clutches causing them to slip (least likely).

3) The flush and new additive package cause a great deal of crap to be freed and the trans filter gets plugged and then the tranny starves for oil causing slippage and failure. This seems to bet he most likely, and the guys with transmissions say if you do flush the entire tranny, change the filter at the time of the flush, and then change it again in about 500 miles.

The LC may be less prone to failure than many cars from flushing because it uses a screen which is less likely to clog than paper filter. I personally would not use a flush machine. Drain the pan, refill, and if you are worried, drain it again in 500 miles and refill again.

Cary

I am not the least bit afraid of a passive machine that relies on the transmission doing the work. I would not consider using something that uses external pressure.........

Dan,
The fluid exchange machine (not flush) you speak of...is it available at other Toyota dealers and/or is it a piece of Toyota equipment?

Our machine is one supplied by BG Products. They are an automotive chemical/lubricants vendor.

Couldn't one just remove the lines to the cooler and have the tranny suck the new oil out of a container (holding the right amount of oil) and have the old just run into a bucket without using C-Dan's tranny machine? Does the tranny suck enough to do this???

Kurt,
The pump only sucks from the pan. The torque converter stays full but you can get about 3 quarts with that method. Just don't run the engine more than a few seconds otherwise your running the pump dry.
Bill

I have a question regarding fluid exchange and thought it better to revive this 7 yr old thread than start a new one.

The local Toyota dealership I used to work at has a Wynn Transmission Machine. They quoted me a very good price on the service but i was wondering if this was considered the "bad" flush machine.

If I dropped the pan and cleaned it and the screen filter first, is there still the risk of dislodging particles with the higher pressure flush machines? Is the majority of the threat of particles getting stirred up from a dirty pan and filter?

I have read the other threads on fluid exchange using the trans pump or other machines with low pressure pumps and will go that method if the Wynn is considered bad.

Thanks

ERG80

Last edited:
I found that the Dodge dealer here has a "BG pf5 model 12q" transmission machine. I will use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom