Tranny mix and match (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
Does anyone know is the output shafts on pre split case 4 speed trannys and be swapped with split case trannys and vice versa? I'm trying to find a four speed tranny to mount to a 3B and a non-split case transfer. I understand that the '78 thru '80 BJ40's work but have not been able to locate one. I can locate a split case tranny/transfer set up though and I have the pre split case 4 speed.

to clarify, H41 is low gear first tranny and comes in many varieties. First made in 1967 and last in 1989 or so. 5.3, 4.9, and 4.8:1 ratios- the 5.3 are pre 1972/3 very, very rare.

H42's are mostly 3.55:1 ratio and made 1974 (ish) to 1989 (ish).

your question: will a early main shaft fit a late tranny or vice versa?

I, doubt it. If you had the two shafts side by side with calipers you could figure it out.

best of luck

anything with a split t-case is going to have a 19 spline trans. Pre split cases have 16 spline, so the two are not interchangeable unless the case is going along for the ride.

FWIW, the idles shaft of the pre85 split case was 34mm, and later is 38mm. this makes a difference for swapping, too.

I have one off of a 78 BJ40. The output shaft is worn. I could try and get some pics if you like.

I am in Saskatoon

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom