Tranny life of a 3FE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am currently on the fence wether or not to keep my 92 and begin some mods ie gears, rear locker plus PM of doing the birfs, or sell and go with a more modern powerful powerplant.

I currently have 200 on the clock. I dont tow and do limited trails. I do plan to do much more highway long distance trips. The tranny shifts smooth, The fluid is clear and has no burnt smell. I'm curious on how long they normally last before having to be rebuilt or replaced, and at what cost. Thanks

Does anyone recommend doing a power tranny flush to get out all the fluid at once, or pan drops and change what you can?

Does anyone recommend doing a power tranny flush to get out all the fluid at once, or pan drops and change what you can?

Power flush = bad

There are a few write-ups in the FAQ on how to do a transmission fluid exchange, ranging from two buckets and a hose, to dropping the pan and cleaning the filter screen.

I'd drop the pan and clean the filter screen. That way, you'll have a fresh fliter, fresh fluid, and at least another 200,000 miles to go on the trans.

:cheers:
-Lane

PS- 244k on my truck, and no signs of tranny trouble. :D

I do a drain of what's in the pan and refill every other oil change -- does the 3FE's tranny have a drain plug in the pan? I know mine does.

After a few drain/refills, I figure I have pretty darned clean tranny fluid all the time...

So I'm curious... I've been hearing that if you do a tranny fluid exchange on a high-mileage transmission (like ours), damage could occur. We've just started telling this to customers at work (lube shop).

True? Who can give some insight on this?

LKA what type of MPG do you get running the 31x10.5?

LKA what type of MPG do you get running the 31x10.5?

31's come stock on 80s. I want to upgrade to 33's, but $$$ keeps me away from that.

Last time I filled up, about 10 MPG. Keep in mind though that I live at 5000', and I have a heavy foot...:eek:

OUCH!

Yeah, but I've been going easier on the skinny pedal lately. I used to be getting around 8 MPG. :eek:

However, my question in post #9 still stands... Anyone know the reasoning behind that?

LKA I dont know how to send links. Go to Expeditionportal.com Then go to the Izuzu Mits, Kia forum. There is a thread there that answers your question. Some are for it, others against it.

So I'm curious... I've been hearing that if you do a tranny fluid exchange on a high-mileage transmission (like ours), damage could occur. We've just started telling this to customers at work (lube shop).

From what I've heard, The flush cleaning chemicals do a great job of breaking down everything that is not supposed to be in the tranny. As the tranny ages, stuff builds up on the friction surfaces. If you have done flushes every 30K since new, there is no problem. It is when you remove all the buildup, that the tranny will usually begin to slip and cause problems. I had a mechanic that I trust give me the heads up. The newer flush machines can be used for an exchange without the chemicals. He suggests that the fluid in high mileage vehicles w/ unknown history can be exchanged w/out using the chemicals. That way you exchange 99% of the fluid in one shot. He then recommends using whatever conditioners they put in with the new fluid.

There seems to be alot of mixed opinions on this topic. I subscribe to the line of thought that if you never do it then you will have a problem eventually, or you can change the fluid and if there is problems sooner or later they will show up anyways. I would rather keep up PM, then not.

I'll echo that. I've owned my truck since new and I don't do power flushes. Just drain and refill regularly. I have done this since new using Amsoil synthetic fluid.

As far as how long the tranny will last with an unknown service history...how long is a piece of string?

I did a flush on my tranny with 150k miles and it shifted much better afterwards. I'm not saying you should do it, just relaying my experience.

It's a damn bus transmission...when it wears out buy a lower mileage one to swap in, pretty simple to do...took half a day in the driveway with my uncle on the '91 we had several years ago.

I just want to know how you got a 3fe tranny to shift smooth. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom