tranny kick down cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
1993 fzj80. working without an FSM....it's in the mail.
but's it's sunny out now and i wanna jump in to things right now.

pretty sure one of these is the infamous kick down cable. also pretty sure i know which one it is. i just want alittle back up.

the heaviest is throttle, no? (top set, bottom cable)
the lite on running to the left fender is cruise control.(top set, top cable)
the little guy on the bottom must be the one, yes?(bottom cable, visible in the middle).....the one with a 1/4-3/8" belly in it.
cable.jpg

I don't think the FSM would help you in this instance anyway. I just looked through mine and couldn't find out anything. You can easily follow the cable between the tranny and throttle body though. I think "kick down cable" is an antiquated description though. The cable tells the transmission more than when to downshift. Are you attempting to adjust it?

alright that answers that one.
how ''tight'' should it be? i doubt i'll see the 1mm mark, and i've seen others reporting 1/4''. right there's a nice belly of ''extra'' cable down there. i imagine there should be less slack than that??

*edit*
it's pretty easy to figure out once you start turning wrenches.
that has taken care of the ''slipping '' issues''.

CEL next. hope that takes care of the slight stumble.

Last edited:
alright that answers that one.
how ''tight'' should it be? i doubt i'll see the 1mm mark, and i've seen others reporting 1/4''. right there's a nice belly of ''extra'' cable down there. i imagine there should be less slack than that??

Why do you think you won't see the marker? It's a metal crimp that's pretty hard to miss.

Hello, Toyota Shop have the esqueme of the adjustment for KickDown Cable, which are yours sintoms ? My mechanic adjust the cable and the electrical part ( Tranny A442 F ) it is very important. My 80 series ( 1-HDT ) have during second shifht to third gear ( only if i accelerates ) a delay of 1 or 2 seconds, if i don't accelerate shift OK. I buy the E.C.T. Computer ( arrives de 16 of May ) and a new EXTREME VALVE BODY to Rodney ( Australia ), to asegure the problem of my Tranny A442F.

Regards

Miguel

Just a quick resurrection of this thread. My transmission has been slipping on my new-to-me 97 FZJ80 and I did a quick search, used this thread and the FAQ and voila, no more slipping tranny. That kick down cable was completely out of adjustment. While I was under the hood I worked the intake tube back onto the air box outlet and fixed a lumpy idle that has been around since I bought it. Gotta love the quick fixes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom