Tranny is toast! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well during the big snow storm last weekend we got stuck in a 4' drift and after along time trying to get the 100 out she came out with no reverse and every gear you put it in goes foward and tranny fluid smells burnt. I have a two shops telling me $3800.00 and $3200.00 for a remanufactured tranny. Do you guys think that it is a good price? Please don't flame me to much as I have been telling everyone this is my fault and not the trucks. Plus the wife was with so I have been reciving plenty of it. :rolleyes:

That is the price a Toyota dealer gave me for one.

How long a "a long time" trying to get it out? And assuming you were rocking it back and forward between drive and reserve pretty severely?

stuck 45 min there was some rocking involved.

do 98-02 100's have external tranny coolers? I know the 03+ do and assume the earlier models do too.

How many miles on it?

Why were you driving in it? srs

162000 mi on it. I was driving some friends home from a xmas party so they could get home to the babysitter and kids. in the end we ended up back at our house and I took them home on the snowmobiles. The snowmobiles should have been the first choice.

do 98-02 100's have external tranny coolers? I know the 03+ do and assume the earlier models do too.

IIRC, when I was poking around my '00 after buying it I thought I saw a heat exchanger mounted to the radiator for what I would assume is a trans cooler. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this...

Those years some have ext coolers and some don't. My 2000 had cheap aftermarket ext and old lines into radiator pinched off.

Those prices sound pretty fair. Is that a Toyota Depot reman unit? I would only go Toyota.

cruiser dan here on the board can tell you what a reman trans will cost.

Those prices sound pretty fair. Is that a Toyota Depot reman unit? I would only go Toyota.

cruiser dan here on the board can tell you what a reman trans will cost.

Yes, they only come reman from Toyota. But every once in awhile the supposed "reman" is actually a new tranny based on availability of cores.

We recently got a reman A343F for a later 80 series for a Mudder and the tranny inside the container was a new unit! Great score for the Mudder. He's happy as a peach.

Price sounds right for the remain tranny with install and core charge ($1K).

EDIT: Just checked the price on my end. MUD price on a reman A343F is $1903.31 (+$1K core charge refundable upon return of unit). Not a bad price actually.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom