Tranny install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.arnolt.com
I have a new H55F and a rebuilt transfer case that I am trying to reinstall in my FJ60. The tranny came out without too much difficulty using one of those floor jack adapters and a pry bar. However, for the last few weekends, I have failed to get the tranny/transfer case back in.

After giving up trying to get it in with the floor jack adapter, I pulled off the trans hump cover (after removing the carpet) and used a cherry picker to raise up the box/xfer unit. I used a strap around the gearbox and have managed to get the input shaft into the throwout bearing but have not succeeded in getting the splines to engage on the clutch disk. This may be because the box/xfer is tilted back a little or to the side or something (I can't really tell). I am doing this as a one person job and have reached the limitations of what I can push/pull/hold at the same time.

Obviously I could get more people or bring it to a shop but I can't imagine this is a job that one person can't do. Is it worth getting a proper low lift jack? Any other tips?

Appreciate any ideas as this is the only real PITA thing I have faced so far on the FJ60 (even taking out the rear axles bearings wasn't a fraction as bad as this).

I have a new H55F and a rebuilt transfer case that I am trying to reinstall in my FJ60. The tranny came out without too much difficulty using one of those floor jack adapters and a pry bar. However, for the last few weekends, I have failed to get the tranny/transfer case back in.

After giving up trying to get it in with the floor jack adapter, I pulled off the trans hump cover (after removing the carpet) and used a cherry picker to raise up the box/xfer unit. I used a strap around the gearbox and have managed to get the input shaft into the throwout bearing but have not succeeded in getting the splines to engage on the clutch disk. This may be because the box/xfer is tilted back a little or to the side or something (I can't really tell). I am doing this as a one person job and have reached the limitations of what I can push/pull/hold at the same time.

Obviously I could get more people or bring it to a shop but I can't imagine this is a job that one person can't do. Is it worth getting a proper low lift jack? Any other tips?

Appreciate any ideas as this is the only real PITA thing I have faced so far on the FJ60 (even taking out the rear axles bearings wasn't a fraction as bad as this).

a good heavy duty tranny jack helps, since it can tilt the thing in any direction.
not easy as a 1 man job...
j

I used two floor jacks to put my a440/t-case combo into my 62. Get 2 good ones and use a racheting strap around each and really crank them down. Then you can adjust height and angle to get it match up perfectly with the motor. I did it by myself one afternoon. It was really easy.

I've pulled the transmission and transfer case on my FJ60 three or four times, all solo. I use a transmission jack that looks like the picture below that I purchased at Harbor Freight. I also have to put a piece of plywood on top with blocks to keep the transmission level side-to-side. You will need to tilt the transmission up in the front to match the angle of the motor.

Before you start to insert the transmission, you should confirm that the clutch disk is aligned with the pilot bearing using a clutch alignment tool. Also, put a little grease on the splines on on the transmission input shaft. As you push the transmisstion in you will also need to raise it up. This operation takes a lot of pushing and wiggling the transmission along with patience and a lot of swearing. If you cant get the input shaft through the clutch disk, you may need to rotate it a little to get the teeth to line up. At some point, it usually just pops right in. Or if you can get it close enough, you can install the bolts that hold the transmission to the bell housing and pull it together by carefully tightening the bolts in rotation.
transmission jack..JPG

Word on the above reply about the harbor freight tranny jack. That's what I use and he's right, just alot of pushin' and wigglin'. Eventually it just pops in. My brothers lend a hand for that stuff if I ask, too. Many hands make light work.

Thanks for the ideas. I think it's the tilting that I have the problem with. Using the strap with the cherry picker makes it fairly easy to tilt forward to back but side to side is difficult. I used the clutch tool to align when I put the disk in but I will check that again, it could have slid down I suppose (although it clamped in pretty tight).

I think the floor jack is not well designed for the task in a whole bunch of ways. I will look into the HF trans jack. The spouse will not willing condone any Cruiser related activities so I will have to convince a buddy that there's some benefit to wrestling with 300lb of transmission/transfer case.

Shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom