Tranny Hump? (1 Viewer)

Hey guys I have a 1970 FJ40 that I am putting a 78 4sp and t-case in. My question is my tranny hump is some what rusted. Will a later model tranny hump work in my 40 with the holes already cut or should I just cut up the old one and weld in new metal?

Thanks,
Preston

Living in the Past

SILVER Star

I installed a later transmission cover in my 68 back in the mid nineties when I installed a four speed. Not only did the shifter holes line up the cover is a little taller and a better fit in my opinion. I cut the back off to match the shorter earlier cover. Filled the gap in the back where it's taller with weather stripping, Then had to do a little work along the right side where it's a little different for the vacuum hump. Most hoes lined up.

I did the same thing, 71 tub with 77 hump. If I were to do it again, I would cut holes in your existing hump as it fits properly to begin with. Take the later hump and use it as a template, any smaller mistakes could be covered up by the shifter boots. Remember to only cut a little bit at a time.

The later humps are longer, (which I used) and had to cut off a decent portion of the back half. Most of the holes lined up for the smaller screws, but it was a pain and doesnt look or fit perfect. I rhino lined everything so it was somewhat a moot point.

FWIW the holes for the shifters on the later humps fit just fine without modification.

Thanks for the advice guys. Im going to take a bunch of measurements on a friends 76 and see if I cant use my 70 tranny hump first. Figure cant hurt to try that route first. Maybe even might try and make a template now that I think about it. Let you guys know how it goes when I get it all swapped in.

Living in the Past

SILVER Star

Here is a old thread from the 45 section. A couple of the pictures show how much taller the later 4 speed transmission cover is than the earlier three speed cover. This is the main reason I switched. Wasn't happy with the way the earlier cover fit when I installed the four speed. I also spaced the front motor mounts higher so the transmission was lower.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-class...save-virgin-cut-trans-tunnel-needed-fj45.html

SOR fiberglass reproduction tranny hump

Does anyone know if the SOR fiberglass reproduction will fit on a 71? They said it won't, but it sure looks like it will. They are calling out the hump to fit a 73 and later. I am not concerned about the shifter as I have the auto B & M set up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom