Tranny Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1976 Fj-40 that i use for 4 wheeling, and i was going to school (senior in High school lol) and when i came to a stop sign and let out on the clutch i heard a little bit a gears grinding and that was it. It didnt jump roll anything. What could be wrong?

If it is something major and i need a new tranny how extreme would it be to put in a 5 speed out of a Toyota truck? Is this a good move or should i stick to the 4 speed. I would really apprcaite some help on things to try or if a 5 speed would be ok for the Koozer.

Thanks alot

I think if I was gonna do a 5 spd I'd opt for a nv4500 but it would be way cheaper for you to just swap in another 4. you know being a student and all.

Kroozer74 said:
What could be wrong?

...something major and i need a new tranny how extreme would it be to put in a 5 speed out of a Toyota truck?

Welcome.

" extreme "- you might be able to make it work, but it would not be worth the problems...( engine change, rear axle change because of t-case change, just for starters.. :) )

Did you verify that the tcase was in fact, in gear, and not in neutral? ;)

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
Did you verify that the tcase was in fact, in gear, and not in neutral? ;)

X2.

At least 95% of the time this happens to someone, the tcase shifter has popped into neutral.

Kroozer, sometimes when you pull the tranny into a gear, especially when you're stopped, the gears don't mesh and it doesn't go all the way in. It happens all the time to me and all you have to do is try again. Very common.

Thanks alot for the help

Well i pulled off the side of my transfer case and a boot that is on the shaft that is connected to the shifter was rotten and opened up the Tcase and there is alot of rust in it so i am hoping that it was just like yall said in nutreal so i am going to clean it up and try again!! Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom