tranny help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's my dilemma .. I left my perfectly shifting cruiser to go on vacation for 15 days and now it wont come out of reverse.
the cruiser is running however I am in the final stages of my budget resto
and today after finishing the front floor and I was getting ready to reinstall the seats I decided to start it and move it a bit , I put the shift lever back in and no shifting.. clutch and transfer case are working very well and I have not used it at all since I started the resto but it all worked until 2 weeks ago

any ideas? I changed the oil righ after finding this out to see if there was some major damage but aside from some slush and some metal flakes (not much really and very fine) I didn't find anything too suspicious
it bothers me because it was shifting just fine just before I left for vacations

????

If I read that right, you had the shifter lever out of the tranny while it was still in gear?

Remove the shifter again and use whatever you can find (long screwdriver, etc) to get all of the shift forks back in their neutral positions, then re-install the lever.

e rock is spot on....

the cane will fit in the wrong spot, and not work...

sounds like this is what you have going on...

Good luck!

-Steve

e rock said:
If I read that right, you had the shifter lever out of the tranny while it was still in gear?

Remove the shifter again and use whatever you can find (long screwdriver, etc) to get all of the shift forks back in their neutral positions, then re-install the lever.

You are correct that is what I did but I have been taking it in and out for months now I guess I got lucky and always managed to place it back in the correct position..
if that is the case it would be great I'll try that Thanks

Nothing is moving however should I take the cover off ??? what do I use to reseal it ? will silicone gasket work ?? sorry about the stupid questions but I am afraid of touching the transmission I wouldn't want to make a simple matter worse..

I just gave it one more try and it worked I just had to push the pin back and at the same time shift the reverse arm back to neutral ..

I'll be driving my cruiser soon

just need to put the seats back so I can start cruising as I finish it
thank you

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom