Tranny help! Front seal keeps busting! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I picked up a 95 4Runner with only 139k miles with bad tranny. There I was thinking to replace the tranny when I saw that all I need is a front seal. That known because when I poured in fluid it went into gear. By poured out.. I mean waterfall type of pouring out of the bell housing. SO I got excited. Dropped the Tranny and changed the seal. Put it back in. Fired it up! Whala! No leak. Put it into gear. Drove 2 miles, started slipping. Turned around and parked it. WATERFALL again! Bummer! Thinking I might of jabbed the seal with the torque converter on install.
I had some time today (5hours) dropped the tranny WITH the torque converter this time. Replaced seal. Hand inserted the torque converter. Pulled it out again to see if I ripped anything. All looked good. Put it back in how it was. With confidence slapped the Tranny back on! Tightened everything down. New oil again. Started up. No leak. Put it through all the gears. Got out looked under WATERFALL!!! What can it possibly be? Everywhere I look changing the seal always works. Why is mine busting through. That's two new seals from Toyota dealership.

Bad bearings on input shaft, or bent shaft. Drop it, again, and do a run out check.

Did you put the seal in backwards? Spring goes to the fluid side.

Bad bearings on input shaft, or bent shaft. Drop it, again, and do a run out check.

Did you put the seal in backwards? Spring goes to the fluid side.

Here is how it ripped my first new seal.

How do I do a run out check? Is it worth fixing? I can get a whole Tranny for 500 bucks. Well now technically it will cost me close to 600 with the seals and fluid.

image.jpeg

I yanked on the shaft trying to wobble it. But I did notice that when I turned the torque converter there was a small moment of a grinding sound. Is that a bad bearing?

Bearing, bushing or oil pump making noise could be the grinding sound. Throw the used transmission in it and be done.

So? Where are you on this?

So? Where are you on this?

I talked to some other guys and suggestions from here. I was able to get a tranny with transfer case 150k miles for 470 shipped to me. So I took that rout instead of tearing into it. If anyone wants one I can give them this one! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom