Tranny Help 89 fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My tranny won't engage until the vehicle has been running for 3-5 minutes. Sometimes it shifts hard when shifting and it won't downshift going uphill or passing. What can it be?

I assume you checked you fluid level and it is ok. When was the last time the trans fluid had been changed? How many miles you got on the vehicle? Has you ATF light every light up? Once running, does it have any shifting problems going on level ground?

Fluid is ok, looks good. Once it warms up it will shift even though sometimes it is a hard shift and yes the atf light has come on before. If you are driving in the mountains or something where the tranny needs to shift down but it won't, the light has came on before and I pull over and let her cool down.

mileage is 219,000. The tranny had some work done to it before. I believe it was the shaft coming from the transfer case to the transmission that had stripped out.

I don't have too much experience with tranny problems but I'm gonna bump up your thread up since nobody answered today. Don't forget to use the search function with keywords such as "62 trans screen" or "62 shift problems", you'll find some more info on previous posts while waiting for somebody else provides more input. It seems that you should try to changing the fluid and cleaning the screen as a initial posibble fix to the problem before sinking any major money into the truck.

Dirtysouth - welcome to the Land Cruiser club. First, try using search - there's a lot of information on the A440 tranny that's used in the 62 series LC.

My guess is that either your valve body or torque converter, or both, are on their last legs. The torque converter is where most of the heat in the A/T is generated - your AT Temp issue. While your shifting issues could be the valve body. Looks like rebuild time. Find a good tranny shop and ask specifically if they've ever worked on cruisers. A good "while you're at it" would the be to replace the output seal in the engine as well as the trasnfercase input seal and the (2) output seals.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom