Tranny fluid capcity numbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I noticed in the FSM the AT dry fill capacity is 12.4 quarts while the drain & fill is only 2.1 quarts. Is this saying that for a drain and fill, you're only changing out less than 20% of the old stuff with new? I know some of the fluid is going to stick to the millions of internal pieces and parts, but where da hell is that 10 plus quarts going? Seems like I need to do the drain and fill five more times :eek:.

Thanks,
R2

Most of the fluid stays in the torque converter, those suckers hold a fair bit of fluid. That as well as all the solenoid passeges. The only way to get that out is flush, or drain/fill run vehicle while changing through all selector positions and repeat a couple 10 or 20 times, or until the fluid is all nice and red.

Rtoo,

Is that drain/fill number correct for the 343? Seems like there was some discrepancy in one year manual and that number (2.1) seems low. Heck, my Subaru drains 4 quarts on a drain/fill. I thought it was more like 5-6 quarts for a drain/fill? I have a manly 442, so can't help other than to question it.

Doug

I too did a a drain & fill on my 97 LC and I couldn't believe it said 2 qts ??? It took about 7 qts I think.

I think the FSM is wrong on this point. My '97 drains almost exactly 4 quarts, and takes 4 quarts to fill to the hot fill mark.

Hey, I'm about ready to do a drain and fill my self.
So, should I buy 4 qts or 7 qts to refill?

On my tranny (343F), it takes drops less than 4 quarts (Yo, Andrew) to properly fill up the tranny (measured at operating temperature or 15min driving); and I've always drained it on a level surface.

Frank.

I got in trouble over this on 80's cool once so I usually keep my mouth shut. :-X

I will say that part of what influences how much goes in is how long you allow it to drain. My 442 usually takes about 7 quarts. Last summer I changed a couple solonoids and the pan was off for about an hour. It took 8 quarts to refill it after draining for that ammount of time.

D-

Yep, this is another one of those subjects that recurs from time to time...

The FSM is a misprint; the 343 takes approximately 4L for a drain and refill, So Andrew and Frank are spot-on. Mine also takes 4L, just a small amount over 4 qts.

The others are also correct. If you let it drain forever, or if you shift the tranny thru the gears while draining, or you are not on a level surface, you will likely get more.

There are numerous threads in the archives on this subject, but for another data point, I do not "flush" the tranny. Instead, like many others on this list, I drain & refill - drive about 1500-2000 mi, drain & refill again, and again a third time. You will never get it all out this way, but the old fluid that remains will be minimal and not a bother.

Cheers, R -

I just bought two cases of Dexron III at Costco and drained and refilled until I used the two cases. One little screw-up was there is a metal gasket under the drain plug, and I found it in the bottom of the catch pan after I was finished. It turns out the plug doesn't need the gasket to seal, but you might look for it. Another thing I thought of doing but didn't was to replace the rubber tubing erven thought it's not under any real pressure.

I just spoke to my "mechanic". This guy is pretty good with vehicles. I tells me it's ok to fully flush the tranny.
Ideas?
94 FZJ 142k miles. And I don't know when the p o changed any fluids...

Cary can likely shed a lot of light on this based upon his knowledge of oils. But from my understanding, when the transmission oil is changed one of the biggest things you're benefitting from is the freshened additives that have worn out. Tranny fluid is also highly detergent - more so than any other vehicle fluid IIRC. So. An older dirty trans like yours would slowly clean itself out if drained and refilled several times. Or if 100% changed out suddenly, perhaps along with turbulence and/or the use of aggressive cleaners, it may puke up a chunk of dirt that will block a valve and toast the tranny.

For me, I'd much rather dissolve accumulated stuff slowly and safely rather than take a chance on a chunk getting mobile in an auto transmission valve body.

DougM

Pat, search back and reminisce through some of the previous posts on tranny flushes, fluid exchanges, pros & cons of each, etc.. been talked about almost as much as tires or synthetic oil. Yet in this case, I think you'll see more disagreement among the best coarse of action, yet a greater acceptance of folks with differing opintions... bottom line is read up then decide for yourself.

I went the "exchange" route for my 80, everything seems great. On our old Subaru I'm refreshing it 4 quarts at a time, every oil change (like Doug just suggested). If you do that I'd suggest buy 7 quarts and you'll only use 4 or 5, but then have a couple around just in case...

Doug, yes I agree. I have read the many threads here.
This info. is coming from a dealer the mechanic knows.
When I went to the Toyota dealer (closest to me) I got the same response.
Not so sure what to do. I don't feel much like experimenting either.

Nakman, what s your total miles?

Get the mechanic and dealer to give you a written warantee if they are going to flush it. Even for fluid exchange most places like Jiffy Lube are going to make you sign a waiver that they are not responsible.

PPC, good idea...

I drain and fill every time I change the engine oil. By pulling the plug and letting it drain for about 30 minutes I get 3 quarts out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom