tranny dying (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I posted up in the 60's forum about my A440F auto tranny in my 88 FJ62 dying.

Anyone know of a tranny shop in Phoenix that has experience with the A440F and preferably offers a warranty. :D

OR does anyone know of someone (not necessarly a professional mechanic) that could swap in a H55F 5 speed for me?

This is my daily drive so I kind of need to move on this.

Tim

They are pricey but Toyo Motors on Bell can probably do it, as a `professional' route. The tech there knows his Cruisers and helped me with the 3F-E swap against an H42 and additional custom work.

You'll need to source (of course) a 2F bellhousing and clutch (40/55/60) plus pedal assembly from a 60. You'll also need to switch (I'm guessing) to the H55f/H42 tcase as well as adjust lengths on the driveshafts. I can't say it'd be a whole lot more expensive than the A440f fix, but definetely more involved. I still say go for it even if for the col factor alone! The 3F-E is quite a quick engine with a manual tranny.

It also may be worth looking at a used A440f :|. An H42 is pretty close IIRC to the auto's gear ratios and would be much cheaper. Regardless post back and let us know what happens.

3fj40 said:
They are pricey but Toyo Motors on Bell can probably do it, as a `professional' route. The tech there knows his Cruisers and helped me with the 3F-E swap against an H42 and additional custom work.
QUOTE]

3fj40,

Don't mean to be to stupid but is Toyo Motors the name of the place or is that short for Bell Rd Toyota? Do you have the techs name that did the work on your 3FE to H42?

Cheers

Nope, no problems, it's the name of the place. I don't remember the tech's name, but you can reference me (Scott with the red Land Cruiser with the injected engine) when you call and they'll no doubt remember. The name itself is ``Toyo Motors'' and their # is 602 971 8137. Service Manager's name is Tim.

Are you on the 3FE group on yahoo? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3fe

3fj40 said:
Nope, no problems, it's the name of the place. I don't remember the tech's name, but you can reference me (Scott with the red Land Cruiser with the injected engine) when you call and they'll no doubt remember. The name itself is ``Toyo Motors'' and their # is 602 971 8137. Service Manager's name is Tim.

Are you on the 3FE group on yahoo? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3fe
Hey 3fj40, thanks for the phone number. I am on the 3FE group at yahoo but don't visit the group often.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom