tranny dying

Discussion in 'AZ- Copper State Cruisers' started by azaussie, Nov 6, 2005.

1. azaussie

azaussie

Hey Guys,

I posted up in the 60's forum about my A440F auto tranny in my 88 FJ62 dying.

Anyone know of a tranny shop in Phoenix that has experience with the A440F and preferably offers a warranty. :D

OR does anyone know of someone (not necessarly a professional mechanic) that could swap in a H55F 5 speed for me?

This is my daily drive so I kind of need to move on this.

Tim

2. Pskhaat

Pskhaat

They are pricey but Toyo Motors on Bell can probably do it, as a `professional' route. The tech there knows his Cruisers and helped me with the 3F-E swap against an H42 and additional custom work.

You'll need to source (of course) a 2F bellhousing and clutch (40/55/60) plus pedal assembly from a 60. You'll also need to switch (I'm guessing) to the H55f/H42 tcase as well as adjust lengths on the driveshafts. I can't say it'd be a whole lot more expensive than the A440f fix, but definetely more involved. I still say go for it even if for the col factor alone! The 3F-E is quite a quick engine with a manual tranny.

It also may be worth looking at a used A440f :|. An H42 is pretty close IIRC to the auto's gear ratios and would be much cheaper. Regardless post back and let us know what happens.

3. azaussie

azaussie

4. Pskhaat

Pskhaat

Nope, no problems, it's the name of the place. I don't remember the tech's name, but you can reference me (Scott with the red Land Cruiser with the injected engine) when you call and they'll no doubt remember. The name itself is ``Toyo Motors'' and their # is 602 971 8137. Service Manager's name is Tim.

Are you on the 3FE group on yahoo? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3fe

5. azaussie

azaussie

Hey 3fj40, thanks for the phone number. I am on the 3FE group at yahoo but don't visit the group often.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  6. Pskhaat

Pskhaat

I saw someone else replied to that as well, but they are definetely the experts and have provided a great amount of support during my 3F-E conversion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.