1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tranny dripping

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by sjpitts, Dec 11, 2003.

1. sjpitts

sjpitts

On the way out to my car this morning I noticed a leak under the wife's 80 (93, 117k miles). The car has never dripped a drip before this, and I immediatly experianced the chill of unbridled fear.

My wife had made a short trip to take the oldest daughter to school this morning, and had been back for an hour or so. The puddle was maybe the size of a silver dollar, maybe larger, and appeared to be coming from the front area of the tranny.

I didn't get down on the ground, but it was definatly red, and it sure looked like tranny fluid.

What could cause a sudden leak like that? What should I do?

And I will ask again, anybody know of a good 80 mechanic in Arizona? I would to have someone that I could trust with the beast of tranny. I would like to get a fluid/filter change, and adjust the shift cables just to make me sleep better.

Jared

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    If you have red coolant, it could be the PHH.

You will need to identify what is leaking before you seek the source.

D-

3. sjpitts

sjpitts

This did not occur to me.

I do have red coolant, and it could in theory be the PHH (I have not yet replaced it) During my cursory look I was pretty sure it was coming from tranny, but I did not consider the PHH.

Now that I think about it, I think the drip was farther back than that-- more like the area directly in front of tranny pan skid plate. But I will have to look again to make sure.

Thanks

Jared